Wake County Register of Deeds | Tammy Brunner

No Social Security Number

Note: Your Social Security card or W-2 form AND a current ID with your name and date of birth is required to get a marriage license. See Age Requirements.

  • Applicants who are not eligible for a Social Security number may obtain a marriage license by signing an affidavit attesting to this fact. The affidavit is available in the Register of Deeds office or
    Click here for English affidavit & el afidávit Español.

  • Note: A non-citizen admitted to the United States for permanent residence or to engage in employment must be issued a Social Security number. A non-citizen not eligible for a Social Security card, but who was legally admitted to the United States can use an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) in lieu of a Social Security number. To obtain an ITIN number, contact the IRS Tax Administration Office to fill out a W-7 form.