Become part of the Wake County Sheriff’s Office team! We are seeking qualified applicants for various positions, including Detention Officer and Deputy Sheriff. If you have a high level of dedication and commitment to the citizens of Wake County, you should consider employment with this agency.
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Medical Coverage
- Leave Benefits
- Annual and Sick Leave
- Paid Parental Leave
- Bereavement Leave
- Community Involvement Leave
- Retirement Plan with 401(k)
- Salary Incentives for
- Secondary Education
- Prior Experience
- Military Service
- Foreign Language Fluency
Our team has various levels of employment opportunities. Detention Officers and Deputy Sheriffs make up most of our staff; however, we occasionally have open positions in careers such as Detention Services Nurse, Telecommunicator, Customer Service Representatives, and Information Technology Technicians.
Requirements for Deputy and Detention Officers
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Cannot be charged or convicted of a felony
- Cannot be charged with a serious misdemeanor (Class B) within the past 5 years or have a total of 4 or more misdemeanor charges
- Undergo an extensive background check including a physical fitness assessment, reading test, medical exam, drug screen and psychological examination.
Physical Fitness Requirements
As a prerequisite, all Detention Officer and Deputy Sheriff applicants must demonstrate a minimum level of physical ability and fitness. This is to be accomplished by successfully completing the Wake County Sheriff’s Office's Physical Agility Test (SOPAT) conducted at our training facility. The test consists of running 40 meters, climbing up and down stairs, completing 10 pushups, and simulating rolling/moving an adult-sized object. The purpose of this physical test is to simulate and measure an applicant’s physical ability to respond to a critical incident and apprehend or potentially control a prisoner/suspect.
If you have questions, or wish to apply for employment you may reach a member of the recruiting staff by calling our recruiting office at 919-856-6983, emailing Sheriff.Recruiting@wakegov.com or by visiting us at the Public Safety Center Building, at 330 S. Salisbury St., Raleigh, NC 27601.
For a listing of current employment opportunities, please go to employment opportunities.