Campaign Finance Information

Who should register as a political committee with the Wake County Board of Elections?

Any candidate, referendum committee or political action committee as defined in N.C.G.S. §163-278.6 must register by filing the appropriate organizational forms. Those persons filing Campaign Finance forms with the Wake County BOE are candidates for:​

  • Board of Commissioners
  • Sheriff
  • Register of Deeds
  • Soil & Water Conservation District Supervisors
  • Mayors and City/Town Council Members/Commissioner Members
  • Board of Education
  • Referendum committees and PACs influencing issues strictly within the confines of Wake County register with the Wake County Board of Elections.

What are the Report Due Dates?

State and County Reporting Schedule (State Board website)

Organizational papers and the initial Disclosure Report must be filed within 10 calendar days of the first activity supporting candidacy or within 10 days of filing for office, whichever occurs first. See N.C.G.S.§ 163-278.6(4)  for a list of so-called first activities.

Substantial penalties may be levied for late reports.

Where can I download Campaign Finance Forms?

Download Campaign Finance Forms

Which forms do I need to submit?

Forms Guide

Candidates over the $1,000 Threshold always submit a Disclosure Report Cover (CRO-1000) and a Detailed Summary (CRO-1100) for every report, even if they did not make any transactions during the reporting period.

The Detailed Summary is the "road map" for which forms should be enclosed. If there is a value next to the form type on the Detailed Summary, the corresponding form is due. Example: If you have a value in line 6 of the Detailed Summary, or the "Contributions from Individuals" line, you must submit the completed "Contributions from Individuals" (CRO-1210) details page.

Most committees will only use 10 of the available forms for reporting purposes. Not including the CRO-1000 and the CRO-1100, the most common forms are:

​Aggregated Contributions from Individuals


Contributions from Individuals​


Contributions from Other Political Committees




Aggregated Non-Media Expenditures


Loan Proceeds


Loan Proceeds Statement


In-Kind Contributions



All Joint Fundraiser Committees, Referenda and PACs must file financial Disclosure Reports, regardless of amounts spent or received. County reports are available to the public in the lobby of the Wake County Board of Elections office and may be printed at a cost of five cents per page.

Where should the forms be filed?

County committees send all forms and reports by manual delivery or by mail to the Wake County Board of Elections at:

In Person: 1200 N. New Hope Rd., Raleigh, NC  27610

By Mail: PO Box 695, Raleigh, NC  27602

If using the U.S. Postal Service, the use of certified mail is strongly recommended.

Contact Us

[email protected]