Backyard compost bins can divert on average of 650 lbs. of organic waste per household from landfill each year. To help reduce waste sent to landfill Wake County is offering discounted compost bins. You can purchase the Earth Machine compost bin through this program at 50% below the retail cost, for just $55.
Every year, during the entire month of May we offer a compost bin sale, in celebration of International Compost Awareness Week. To receive notice when the next sale launches, complete the signup form below.
How Does the Pre-Order Sale Work?
During the month of May, a limited supply of compost bins and accessories are available for purchase through our vendor, BrandBuilders, LLC. After the sale ends, orders are prepared for shipping. By mid-June customers receive an email to arrange pickup, emails are serviced by Constant Contact (check junk/spam folders).
- We recommend checking with your Home Owners Association and/or local ordinance prior to pre-ordering a compost bin.
- Wake County does not make any warranty or representation, expressed or implied, regarding the Earth Machine compost bin. Purchasers must direct any questions, claims or disputes regarding their purchase to BrandBuilders, LLC.
- Cancellations must be made by May 31 (prior to shipping).
- We do not store orders indefinitely. Orders not picked up by July 31 will be donated for educational purposes, no exceptions.
Why Compost in a Bin?
Compost bins, such as the Earth Machine have features that allow for greater control over the process of composting and decomposition, especially for those new to composting or composting in an urban setting. Features to look for in a good compost bin, include:
- Twist-locking, pest-resistant lid
- Conical shape for easy compost removal
- Vertical and horizontal ventilation
- Harvest door
- Anchors to secure composter to ground
- UV stabilizers added to resist weathering
About 34% of the average trash can is food and yard waste that can be composted. Wake County wants to help residents compost at home, so that together, we can reduce the amount of waste going to landfill. Other benefits of composting include:
- Enriches soil; helps soil retain moisture, makes soil easier to dig, helps plants and lawns grow bigger and stronger, and suppresses plant diseases and pests
- Reduces the need for watering, artificial fertilizers, and chemical pesticides
- Reduces methane emissions from landfills and lowers your carbon footprint
- Serves as a useful educational tool to teach children about the nutrient cycle, and natural resource conservation
Get Help Composting
Along with a "Guide to Home Composting" handbook you receive when you purchase an Earth Machine, we also provide additional guidance and support for those new to composting:
Videos on Composting
Education and Outreach Team