Adjustments & Refunds

Find out what information is needed for processing an adjustment or refund for property taxes paid on your registered motor vehicle.

Vehicles Sold or Moved Out of State

If you sold your vehicle or moved your vehicle out of state, you may be entitled to a proration or refund of taxes. The following two conditions must be satisfied to qualify for the adjustment:

  1. The license plate must be surrendered, or reported lost or stolen to the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles prior to the month of expiration.
  2. Vehicle ownership must be transferred to a new owner or the vehicle must be registered in your new state of residence.


Within one year of surrendering the license plates, the owner must present the following to the county tax office:

  1. NCDMV FS-20 plate surrender form
  2. Bill of Sale or a copy of the new state registration


Submit the above items by email to or mail to:
Wake County Tax Administration
P.O. Box 2331
Raleigh, NC 27602-2331

Please be certain to provide the mailing address to be used on your refund check.

Any municipal vehicle tax assessed in accordance with NC General Statute 20-97 is not subject to proration or refund.


Relocating Within North Carolina

If a vehicle owner moves from Wake County to another county within North Carolina after paying their combined registration and property tax notice, there is no adjustment due. The next year’s combined notice will have the new county.