Homeowners & Communities

Wake County's Soil and Water Conservation staff assist homeowners and communities on a voluntary basis. Technical Services are provided to landowners in Wake County with natural resource concerns. 

Water flowing down stream

Community Conservation Assistance Program (CCAP)

CCAP is a voluntary, incentive-based cost share program designed to improve water quality through the installation of various best management practices (BMPs) on urban, suburban and rural lands not directly involved with agriculture production.  

Eligible landowners may include homeowners, businesses, schools, parks and publicly owned lands. 

Interested landowners may apply at the Wake Soil and Water Conservation District for financial and technical assistance for the installation of BMPs to protect water quality. Applications are ranked based on water quality priorities and, if eligible, can be submitted for a funding request. Landowners may receive financial assistance of up to 75 percent of the pre-established average cost of the BMP from the CCAP regional application process for the Piedmont. 

Practices eligible for cost share under CCAP include:

  • Backyard Wetlands 
  • Bioretention Areas 
  • Cisterns 
  • Critical Area Plantings 
  • Diversions 
  • Grassed Swales 
  • Stormwater Wetlands 
  • Streambank Stabilization 

If you are interested in participating in CCAP, please contact the Wake Soil and Water Conservation District at 919-250-1050. You can also look up more information on the NCDA&CS CCAP website

Two cisterns on the side of a school.
Adding mulch to an eroded area.

Useful tips for homeowners and first time homebuyers alike:

  • Please refer to the Additional Resources section of our website for more information on how to access soil maps.  
  • You can also look up pertinent property information, such as stream locations, topography, and floodplains, on Wake County iMaps using your address.  
  • If you have questions about flood insurance or flood insurance mapping, please refer to the Property Owner's section and the Flood Map Service Center, respectively, on the FEMA website.