Wake County Sheriff's Office | Gerald M. Baker, Sheriff

Concealed Handgun Permits


**BY APPOINTMENT ONLY** Hours of operation:

  • New Applicants: 8:30a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday–Friday
  • Renewal Applicants: 8:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m., Monday–Friday
  • Duplicate & Address Changes: 8:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m., Monday–Friday

At the time of submitting the application, the applicant must:

  • Be 21 years of age or older 
  • Be a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident alien.
  • Be a resident of North Carolina for 30 days preceding the filing of the application 
  • Be a resident of Wake County
  • Not suffer from a physical or mental infirmity that would prevent the safe handling of a handgun 
  • Not have any of the prohibitions listed in NCGS 14-415.12(b) or Title 18, United States Code (U.S.C.), 922

At the time of application, the applicant must present:

  • The original certificate of completion from a certified course adopted by the Criminal Justice Education Training Standards Commission (919-661-5980). Note: A certificate is not required for renewals.
  • Valid photographic identification and proof of residence (NC Driver's License or ID card displaying your current residential address).
  • Military personnel must bring form DD-214 (discharged).
  • Naturalized citizens must bring your Naturalization Certificate or a valid U.S. Passport
  • U.S. citizens born outside of the U.S.A. to U.S. parent(s) must bring your documentation from the Department of State (Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Certificate of Citizenship, or Certification of Report of Birth) 
  • Lawful permanent resident aliens must bring a valid US Permanent Resident Card (USCIS I-551)
  • *The application must be printed after completing the on-line application and brought with you to our office (Note: If you complete the application at our kiosk in our office, the application will be printed at the customer service desk.)



Initial Application Fee: $90

Renewal Fee: $75

Duplicate Fee: $15

To begin the application process for a concealed handgun permit you may complete the application online:

ONLINE: Complete application & pay applicable fees

Begin a new permit or renew a permit here.

Applicable fee per permit (Cash, Credit or Debit), Non-refundable

Four US dollars ($4.00) plus a credit card convenience fee,  Non-refundable

Duplicate Fees will NOT be available for On Line payment 

*Note: No portion of the convenience fee is received by the Wake County Sheriff’s Office


Once you have submitted your Concealed Handgun Permit application in person. A fingerprint technician is on duty at the Public Safety Center to take fingerprints only for CHP applicants.


*Note: Fingerprints may be required when renewing your permit.

Fingerprint Hours at John H. Baker, Jr. Public Safety Center:

8:30a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Concealed Handgun Permit applicants only.

Applicants who have completed the on-line application and made an appointment will receive priority.

*Note: Fingerprint fee is $10; however, it is included in the above application fee.

Duplicate cards and change-of-address procedure for Concealed Handgun Permits in Wake County:

If you have lost or damaged  your card we can order a duplicate card. Due to COVID-19 we will temporarily accept duplicate requests via mail. Please send a brief explanation that you have lost or damaged your card with your name telephone number and permit or driver’s license number. A $15 fee by check or money order made out to the Wake County Sheriff’s Office. Please mail your request to:


Wake County Sheriff’s Office
ATTN: Permits
330 S. Salisbury St.
Raleigh NC 27601


Due to COVID-19 we will temporarily  accept change-of-address requests by phone; please call 919-856-6949 – please do NOT appear in person.

If you are moving out of Wake County, DO NOT go to Sheriff's Office until you have personally appeared in Wake County and completed the above-mentioned change-of-address process. The Sheriff's Office in the county to which you have moved cannot make any changes until Wake County releases your records.

You MUST present a NC Driver's License or ID card displaying the new residential address.

Any time you have a change of residence, you must appear in person to complete a change-of-address form. At that point, you will be given a change of address card, which indicates that you have made notification of your address change. You must carry this card in addition to your current concealed handgun permit.

 For additional information, please call 919-856-6949.

What if I am denied my concealed handgun permit request?

If your concealed handgun permit request is denied you will be notified in writing or via email as to why it was denied.

What do I do if my concealed handgun permit is denied?

If your concealed handgun permit is denied you may appeal the decision to the Chief District Court Judge of Wake County. 

How do I appeal my denied request my concealed handgun permit?

  • North Carolina General Statute 14-415.15(c) provides that when an individual has been denied a concealed handgun permit or had a concealed handgun permit revoked or a nonrenewal of a concealed handgun permit by the Sheriff, the individual has the right to appeal the denial / revocation / nonrenewal.
    • The individual may appeal the decision by submitting a written or typed petition (statement) to a District Court Judge setting forth the reasons for appeal.
    • The petition along with a copy of the Sheriff’s notice of denial / revocation / nonrenewal must be submitted with a filing fee of $150.00 Dollars (personal checks will not be accepted), to the Clerk of Superior Court, Civil Division, Wake County Courthouse located at 316 Fayetteville Street Raleigh, N.C. 27602.
    • Generally appeal of a denial/revocation/nonrenewal of concealed handgun permits are considered by a District Court Judge without hearing. The District Court Judge will notify the individual of his/her decision in writing.

Wake County Firearms Ordinance

  Wake County Firearms Ordinance