Land Use Plan Amendments



Land Use Plan Amendments (LUPA) may be initiated by the Planning Director or through a directive to the Planning Director from the Board of Commissioners.

LUPAs may also be initiated by an owner of property in Wake County as part of a rezoning petition to the Planning staff. Anyone seeking a LUPA is strongly encouraged to contact planning staff prior to applying. 


Staff Review

The LUPA request is reviewed for consistency with the Land Use Plan and in relation to other public interest issues. Planning staff will post notice of the petition/proposal at the site and mail the owners of properties adjoining the site notice of the proposed LUPA and the upcoming Planning Board meeting at which it is expected to be reviewed.


Planning Board Review

Unlike rezoning petitions, LUPAs go before the Planning Board Land Use Committee prior to being presented to the full Planning Board. This step may add extra time to the process for a proposed rezoning.

The Planning Board hears presentations of the staff report, comments from the petitioner and comments from other interested parties. The Planning Board then discusses the petition/proposal and decides to recommend its approval or denial.


Board of Commissioner Action

Properties adjoining the site will receive a letter about the upcoming Board of Commissioners’ meeting and instructions on how to comment. A notice of the public hearing is also published in the local newspaper.

Rezoning meeting materials are published on the County website or may be obtained by calling the Planning Office.