Wake County Code Enforcement staff respond to building code, zoning and environmental health violations ONLY in unincorporated areas of the county.
Each municipality addresses code enforcement within its respective municipal boundaries. To find out which jurisdiction to contact, visit IMAPS.
Municipal Code Enforcement Contacts
Use the Complaint Form for the following types of complaints:
- If someone is doing construction without a permit.
- If someone is operating an illegal commercial business in a residential area.
- If a building is unsafe due to a leaking roof, unsecured dwelling, structural damage or fire.
- If someone is dumping hazardous waste like motor oil.
- If there is outdoor storage or illegal dumping of solid waste like trash, broken furniture, pallets or used tires.
- If you see conditions promoting the breeding of mosquitos, like an abandoned swimming pool or other stagnant water.
- If there is a strong sewer odor or wastewater discharging onto the surface of the ground.
If you do not receive a confirmation email after submitting a complaint form, please call Code Enforcement directly at 919-856-2613
Tips on Other Issues
Use of firearms
Before discharging a firearm in unincorporated Wake County, residents should become familiar with these guidelines from the Wake County Firearms Ordinance.
Wake County does not inspect or regulate mold. For rental properties, this is more of a civil matter between the tenant and the landlord. You may also contact NC Division of Air Quality to seek assistance in this matter.
Wake County does not regulate noxious weeds or tall grass. We recommend contacting your homeowner’s association if you have one.
Abandoning a private well
To permanently abandon a private well please consult the county’s guidelines for proper abandonment procedures.
If there is a strong sewer odor or wastewater discharging onto the surface of the ground, chances are that a septic system has malfunctioned. You may submit a septic system complaint/report using the webform on the Septic & Wastewater Management page.