Registering a Birth

When a child is born in North Carolina, the child’s birth must be registered with the local registrar (the county where the child was born) within 10 days.

Wake County Vital Records provides information about:

The Wake County Register of Deeds can assist with:

Registering the birth of a child born in a hospital

If your child is born in a hospital (or birthing center) in Wake County, the child’s birth will be registered by the hospital.

The hospital will give you a form called the “Mother’s Verification.” Please review this form carefully to ensure all of the information is correct. If there are any errors, let the hospital know right away so that the information can be corrected before the record is sent to Wake County’s Vital Records.

Once this record has been filed, any changes may require additional fees and processing time.

Registering the birth of a child born at home

If your child is born at home in Wake County, your child’s birth must be registered by someone who was at the birth. (A witness can be anyone 18 years or older who was at the child’s birth). If a licensed midwife was at the birth, she will register the child's birth. If not, any of the following people who were present during the birth can register the child's birth:

  • The child’s father,
  • Another relative of the child, or
  • Any other person who was at the child’s birth.

Wake County’s Vital Records registers home births in our office by appointment only. Appointments are available Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. All of the following people must come to the appointment:

  • The mother,
  • The child, and
  • The person registering the child's birth (witness – see above).

Detailed Instructions for registering a home birth

You need to:

  • Fill out the Home Birth Application. You may fill out and submit the form online or you may print the form, fill it out and fax it to 919-212-9348. Once we have received this form, we will call you to schedule your appointment.
  • Fill out and bring the paperwork listed below to your appointment:

Where to get a copy of a child’s birth certificate

Birth certificates can be obtained at the following locations. Please contact the location for additional information.

Register of Deeds
Wake County Justice Center
300 S. Salisbury St. Suite 1700
Raleigh, NC 27601
Phone: 919-856-5460

Wake County Regional Centers

Eastern Regional Center 
1002 Dogwood Drive
Zebulon, NC 27597
Phone: 919-404-3900

Northern Regional Center 
350 E. Holding Ave.
Wake Forest, NC 27587
Phone: 919-562-6300

Southern Regional Center
130 N. Judd Parkway NE
Fuquay-Varina, NC 27526
Phone: 919-557-2501

North Carolina State Vital Records Office
Cooper Memorial Health Building
225 N. McDowell St.
Raleigh, NC 27603-1382
Phone: 919-733-3000

Contact Us

Wake County Human Services Vital Records
10 Sunnybrook Road
Suite G-32
Raleigh, NC 27610
Phone: 919-250-3917
Fax: 919-212-9348
Email: [email protected]

Mailing Address:
Wake County Human Services Vital Records
PO Box 14049
Raleigh, NC 27620-4049