Work First is an employment program that helps families that are in a temporary financial crisis. The Work First program provides a wide range of supportive services to aid families in reaching self-sufficiency.
Services are also provided to families where a child is living in the home of a relative whose is not the biological or adopted parent(s).
Qualifying families must meet basic income guidelines as well as other requirements, including but not limited to: being a United States citizen, a resident of Wake County, qualified immigrant and having at least one child under the age of 18 living at home. Each family is assessed based on their individual situation.
Goals of Work First
Work First objectives include, but are not limited to:
- Job readiness
- Child well-being
- Economic self-sufficiency
- Improved physical and mental health of families
Supportive Services Available for Work First Families
- Short term training
- Vocational testing (Community Workforce Solutions)
- Job readiness programs and classes
- Child care (for participants in the employment services program)
- Transportation assistance
- Limited financial assistance
- Mental health counseling & referrals
- Substance abuse counseling & referrals
- Referrals to Medicaid, Food and Nutrition Services, housing assistance and domestic violence services
- 200% Services --Low income families whose income is below or at 200 percent of the federal poverty level may be eligible for some Work First services.
Want to apply for Work First Family Assistance/TANF?
Schedule an appointment to be assessed for Work First Family Assistance/TANF using Microsoft Teams from your smart phone, tablet, or computer. You will not have to download any software. Microsoft Teams is accessible through the web.
Once you schedule your appointment, a link will be sent to the email that you provided during scheduling.
A representative from our Work First Intake Team will contact you at your appointed time. Please allow 45 minutes for a thorough assessment and overview of the program.
Hours: Monday - Friday (First appointment: 8:30 a.m., Last appointment: 3:45 p.m.)
Please do not schedule multiple appointments.
If you are unable to schedule an appointment online, please contact us at 919-212-7846 for further assistance.
Note: Work First Applications are NOT available on EPASS.
Wake County Health & Human Services
Call: 919-212-7846 (English and Spanish)