Child Support – Working with other States and Nations

When one of the parties involved in a child support case lives outside of North Carolina, the case may be referred to other state's Child Support Agency for services.  Intergovernmental case processing can be more time-consuming and requires the completion of additional documents.

children putting together a puzzle of a map.

If a child is conceived in North Carolina, or the noncustodial parent lived with and supported the child in North Carolina, case actions may be completed without involving the other state.  

When a case is referred to another state, that state is required to provide the same level of service to the NC case as they would a local case.  Once a case is referred to another state, NC local agents no longer control the actions taken on your case.