RAIN, SNOW OR SHINE - Our volunteers are here to help MAKE A DIFFERENCE for the homeless pets in our community!
Do you love animals, but having a pet of your own just isn't in the cards right now? Or maybe you want to help less fortunate pets in the community? Sign up to be a volunteer!
Volunteerism is an integral part of the Wake County Animal Center and enables us to make a difference in the lives of tens of thousands of homeless pets each year. We could not exist without the time, efforts and expertise each of our volunteers commit to giving and we're always looking for responsible and enthusiastic animal-lovers to join our group of dedicated and compassionate volunteers.
We offer a variety of roles and assignments - so no matter your goals (or limitations), you have a way to impact the shelter and help homeless pets find their forever homes. You can volunteer in many different assignments or become an expert in one particular role. All it takes is some free time, a little bit of training and a natural talent for helping others!
Our Volunteer Program encompasses all aspects of the shelter:
- Direct animal care through cleaning, cuddling, walking and enrichment
- Adoption assistance through picture-taking, grooming, training and matchmaking
- Overall shelter support through data entry, marketing, fundraising, attending events and more!
Our volunteers are self-motivated, mature and dependable. If you are interested in joining our Volunteer Program, below is a list of questions that you should ask yourself to make sure that volunteering with us is a good fit for you:
- Are you over the age of 16? Sixteen is the minimum age to volunteer and you must be accompanied by an adult (who is also a volunteer) to perform the same tasks as a team.
- Do you meet the necessary Essential Capabilities needed to safely volunteer with us?
- Are you able to make at least a six-month commitment to regularly volunteer at least six hours a month?
- Do you have reliable access to the internet for obtaining information about volunteer positions and shelter updates?
- WCAC Volunteer Program - FAQs
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please fill out a Volunteer Application. Our Volunteer Coordinator will then reach out to you with more information and get you started on your volunteer journey with the Wake County Animal Center. We are excited to meet you!
PLEASE NOTE: We have slowly resumed the onboarding of new volunteers. Due to high interest, there may be a wait to get started once your application is submitted. As we have a need, we will be reaching out to new applicants with information on next steps to getting started.