Once you've had your water tested by a certified lab, use the table below to determine whether your water requires treatment for certain contaminants. Depending on which lab you used, your test results will be in different units or measurement. For instance, your uranium test may be listed in μg/L, mg/L or pCi/L.

You may also use Wake County's Be Well Informed tool, which generates a report of recommendations based on your test results.

Be sure to use the correct units when reading the table. Get help reading the results from your lab.
Levels Do I treat?

more than 30 μg/L

more than 0.03 mg/L

more than 20.1 pCi/L

Gross Alpha

5–15 pCi/L

more than 15 pCi/L

Test for Uranium and Radium


Gross Beta more than 50 pCi/L Treat in conjunction with Uranium
and Gross Alpha
Radon in Water

0–4,000 pCi/L (low)

4,000–10,000 pCi/L (moderate)

over 10,000 pCi/L (high)




Radon in Air

2–4 pCi/L

more than 4 pCi/L

Test again

Treatment Recommended


As a short-term option, you may switch to drinking bottled water to reduce exposure to Uranium, gross alpha, and gross beta. 

Reading Your Test Results

Each lab formats test results differently, and it may be difficult to identify the information you need. To see an example report with the relevant information highlighted, click the name of your lab:

When it is safe to resume gatherings of 10 or more people, Wake County Environmental Services will resume holding technical assistance meetings to help well users understand their test results and options for addressing problems. 

In the meantime, you can get help reading and understanding your test results by using Be Well Informed or by sending an email to WellWaterSupport@wakegov.com.

Common Terms Found in Water Testing Reports

As you read your results, you may also find the following terms and abbreviations:

Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL) – A standard set by the US Environmental Protection Agency for drinking water quality.
Reporting Limit (RL) – The smallest concentration of a contaminant that the laboratory can detect.
Not Detected (ND) – Indicates the contaminant was not found to be greater than the lab's reporting limit.

Common Terms for Treatment Options

As you explore treatment options for your water, you may come across the following terms and abbreviations:

Point of Entry (POE) – Also commonly called a whole house system, this type of system treats all water that enters the home.
Point of Use (POU) – Usually placed on kitchen sink or refrigerator, this type of system only treats the water at the tap where the system is placed.
Aeration – A treatment system that can be used to fix Radon contamination. It is effective for treating all levels of Radon, especially high levels. 
Granulated Activated Carbon (GAC) – A treatment system that can be used to fix Radon contamination. It is not recommended if radon levels exceed 5,000 pCi/L. 
Whole-House Ion Exchange – A treatment system that can be used to fix uranium and/or radium contamination. It treats all water that enters the house. Uranium requires anion exchange and radium requires cation exchange
Reverse Osmosis (RO) – A treatment system that can be used to fix uranium and/or radium contamination. It only treats the water at the tap where the system is placed.

Sign Up for Updates

Give us your email address and we'll let you know when we have new information and resources.

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Wake County Government, PO Box 550, Attn: Communications Office, Raleigh, NC, 27602, US, http://www.wakegov.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.