Water sample analysis of private wells is a service provided by Wake County Environmental Services in conjunction with Wake County Human Services. Analysis will be completed by the Wake County Human Services Laboratory and by the North Carolina State Laboratory of Public Health. You may sample your own private well water for bacteria and inorganic compounds (minerals) by obtaining sample containers at:

  • Wake County Lab (map)
    10 Sunnybrook Road, Ground Floor, Room G-80, Raleigh
    Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–5:15 p.m.
    Phone 919-250-4441

  • Southern Regional Center (map)
    130 N. Judd Parkway NE, Fuquay-Varina
    Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–5:15 p.m.
    Phone 919-557-2501

  • Eastern Regional Center (map)
    1002 Dogwood Drive, Zebulon
    Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–5:15 p.m.
    Phone 919-404-3900

  • Northern Regional Center (map)
    350 E. Holding Ave., Wake Forest
    Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–5:15 p.m.
    Phone 919-562-6300

  • Wake County Department of Environmental Services (map)
    336 Fayetteville St., Raleigh
    Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–5:15 p.m.
    Phone 919-856-7400

Please return samples with payment to the Wake County Lab, located at 10 Sunnybrook Road in Raleigh (Sampling Fees). Items of note: The Lab does not accept bacteriological samples on Fridays or the day before a holiday and only accepts payment by check or cash in the exact amount.

The following types of water analysis are offered through Wake County Department of Environmental Services/Human Services:

  • Bacteriological Water Analysis for total and fecal coliform (E. coli) bacteria (recommended every 1–2 years)
  • Inorganic Water Analysis for different types of minerals and metals, including heavy metals (i.e., arsenic, lead), pH iron and hardness
  • Iron/Sediment Analysis (Use this test when water looks rusty or muddy.)
  • Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) water analysis for 60 different chemical contaminants, including petroleum products
  • Pesticide analysis for more than 15 different types of commonly used pesticides
  • Herbicide analysis
  • Nitrate/Nitrite (Sources of nitrate may include fertilizers, sewage or livestock waste.)
  • Radionuclides/Radon
  • Iron and Sulfur Bacteria
  • Culture/microscopic analysis to identify substances in water

Homeowners/residents are allowed to collect the samples listed below. ALL OTHER SAMPLES MUST BE COLLECTED BY THE WAKE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES:

  • Bacteriological Water Analysis
  • Inorganic Water Analysis
  • Iron/Sediment Analysis
  • Nitrate/Nitrite
  • Iron Bacteria, Sulfur and Sulfate Bacteria, Culture and Microscopic Analysis

Homeowner/Resident Steps for Collecting Samples for Analysis:

  1. Determine the type of water sample you need (IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE DETERMINING THE TYPE OF SAMPLES YOU NEED PLEASE CONTACT 919-856-7400).
  2. Obtain approved sampling container(s) from Wake County.
  3. Collect a sample of water directly from the source (i.e., well head) into the water sample container. Be sure that all provided procedures are followed to ensure a valid analysis. If unable to collect the sample directly at the well head, use a spigot that bypasses any filtration system on the home. Once the sample is collected, it should be taken to the County Lab within 24 hours. We recommend keeping the Bacteriological and Nitrate samples refrigerated.
  4. Bacteriological samples must be delivered to the laboratory the same day they are collected.
  5. Fill out the appropriate paperwork for the desired water test(s).