Wake County is now administering the Stormwater Ordinance recently adopted by the Town of Rolesville, the Town of Wendell, and the Town of Zebulon that focuses on water quality and flooding. Each municipality has included these regulations in its respective Unified Development Ordinance. The Stormwater Ordinance is a result of recommendations made by the Wake County Stormwater Task Force and approved by the Board of Commissioners in 2007.
The Stormwater Ordinance main features include but are not limited to:
1. Downstream Impact Analysis – Performed to determine if the project will have any impacts on flooding or channel degradation downstream of the project site.
2. Flood Protection Zone – No new development or redevelopment allowed in the 100-year floodplain, except for utility purposes or stream bank restoration.
3. Buffer Zone – No new development or redevelopment allowed in the 50 feet on either side of perennial or intermittent waters, except for utility purposes or stream bank restoration.
4. Volume management
a. Target runoff volume for ultra low- and low-density development
b. BMPs controlling the first 1” of runoff for high density development
5. Peak flow management – No net increase in the peak flow for the 1-year, 24-hour storm.
6. Incentives for Low Impact Development – Nitrogen buy-down
Wake County's administration of the municipalities' Stormwater Ordinance will entail: plan review (fee collected), permit issuance (fee collected), construction inspections, enforcement, and post-construction maintenance inspections of stormwater management devices.
Use of the Wake County Municipal Stormwater Design Tool is required for all municipal stormwater (residential and nonresidential) submittals in the towns of Rolesville, Wendell and Zebulon. Engineers will input all data requested and follow provided links to view calculations used in the tool. Calculations for peak flow, runoff, time of concentration, etc., are for individual drainage areas. Engineer should complete a worksheet for each drainage area within a project limits.
In addition to administering the Stormwater Ordinance for the towns of Rolesville, Wendell and Zebulon, the County already regulates Sediment and Erosion Control for all three municipalities. The stormwater review and permitting process will adjoin the existing process used for Erosion and Sedimentation Control. Combining and coordinating the review of erosion and sedimentation control and stormwater will streamline the process by eliminating redundancies of separate reviews.