There is not a requirement to obtain an Erosion and Sedimentation Control (E&SC) permit when building on an individual lot and disturbing less than 1 acre; however, you DO have to install minimum E&SC measures for all lots regardless of size of disturbance.
** Sediment and erosion control measures are performance-based. You must use measures that are adequate to retain sediment onsite.**
Sediment & Erosion Control
|Inadequate and Poorly Maintained
||Adequate and Well-Maintained|
- Must install a gravel pad, 10 feet in width and 30 feet in length, or equivalent, at the access point(s) for construction vehicles
- Must install silt fences on the low side of the lot prior to the initial footing inspection conducted by the Building Inspections Division.
Tips for Success:
- Watch, Listen and Plan for RAIN.
- Talk to your subcontractors and workers – parking on shoulder and entering lot from any point other than the construction entrance should be prohibited!
- Establish vegetation ASAP – temporary seeding, mulching or straw and tack can save on offsite remediation.
- Inspect your site and measures at the end of every workday and after each heavy rain event.
- Maintain devices and measures – clean or replace when measures are 50% full.
- Washing the streets is not a good method of remediation – a square-point shovel and pushbroom are more appropriate and less expensive.
- Make repairs immediately.
Coming Soon...When silt fence alone doesn't work