Changes to State Stormwater Construction Permit


Effective Aug. 3, 2011
All development projects in North Carolina that disturb an acre or greater of land require a local- or state-approved Erosion and Sedimentation Control (E&SC) plan. The project will be automatically covered by an NPDES Stormwater General Permit NCG010000 for construction-related activities, provided that the ground stabilization and basin design requirements in that permit are included in the E&SC Plan.
A copy of the permit can be found at:
Also on that web page, DWQ has provided a summary entitled “Major Elements of DWQ Construction General Permit.” There are some significant changes in what is required at a construction site to comply with the NPDES Construction General Permit, including:
Ground stabilization in 7 days on perimeter areas and slopes greater than 3:1,
Ground stabilization in 14 days on other areas, and
Basin outlet structures withdraw water from the surface.
Note – There are additional requirements for projects in Falls Lake; contact Kathryn Hobby at 919-369-4190.


The Towns of Rolesville, Wendell and Zebulon recently adopted a new common stormwater ordinance. Rolesville and Wendell have also adopted an Interlocal Agreement for Wake County to administer their stormwater program beginning in January 2010. See the provided link for additional information on new stormwater design requirements, submittal requirements and more!

**Important Changes to the Nutrient Offset Option Under Neuse and Jordan Nutrient Strategies

For developers seeking to use a third-party provider, one must be selected in accordance with rule 15A NCAC 0.2B .0240 and Session Laws 2009-337 and 2011-343. These statutes direct all nongovernment entities to first seek nutrient offsets through an approved private nutrient bank within the watershed or service area where the loading is taking place. In areas without available credit from approved private banks, and for state and federal governmental entities, seekers of nutrient offsets are eligible to participate in EEP’s Nutrient Offset Program. Information on the availability of private banks can be found at DWQ’s Surface Water Protection website.

EEP In-Lieu Fee Contact Information

All inquiries related to ILF requests, invoicing and payments should be directed to EEP’s ILF Program Coordinator Kelly Williams at 919-716-1921 or Permits may be faxed, mailed or sent by email.

**Watershed Managers**

Wake County's Sedimentation and Erosion Control Program is now managed on a watershed basis. There are seven watershed managers. The watershed manager will review the erosion control plan, inspect the sites and enforce the permit requirements. The watershed managers are listed on the Erosion Control web page and can be located through WAKE IMAPS.
The current watershed managers are:
Glenn Johnson, Charles Phillips, Debbie Greene, Betsy Pearce, Jennifer Mitchell, Kathryn Hobby and Shawn Springer
Upcoming Events
July 2012 – Adoption of Falls Lake and Jordan Lake Stormwater Rules, including a new Stormwater Tool for Plan Submittal​