The 2014 Capital Area Veterans Stand Down is scheduled for Friday, October 17, 2014, at the South Wilmington Street Center. Planning is under way and more information will be added to this site in an ongoing process once finalized by the planning committee.
We are one week away from the event. Instructions for attendees are as follows:
2014 Capital Area Veterans Stand Down poster
- The parking lot at the South Wilmington Street Center will be closed, and only street parking is available. Arriving early will get you a closer parking spot to the building.
- Breakfast will be served at 7:30 a.m. for those who would like to partake.
- The opening ceremony is at 8:30 a.m.; services begin at 9 a.m. and will continue until 3 p.m.
One dentist is still needed for the Dental Bus.
All service providers, contact John with the number of attendees from your agency, with table and chair requirements.
Information on the expunction clinic through Legal Aid of NC was disseminated.
Invitation letters to dignitaries have been mailed.
- One dentist is still needed for the Dental Bus
- The advertisement poster has been approved and will be circulated at the next meeting.
- The formats for the agenda and opening ceremony have been approved. Information will be added and modified once names of attendees have been finalized.
- News media and radio stations have been notified about PR and coverage of the event. Waiting on confirmation.
- Invitation letters will be going out soon to invite dignitaries.
- The service provider list was reviewed, and those providers who have not been confirmed as of today will be confirmed by the next meeting.
- The advertisement poster will be reviewed by all committee members and will be finalized at the next meeting.
- The opening ceremony itinerary was discussed and will be finalized at the next meeting.
- We are still in need of at least one more dentist. Wake Smiles of Wake County has been notified.
- A new provider has been confirmed for the Stand Down (Disabled Veterans National Foundation in Washington, DC).
- There was discussion about a possible venue change for the event to the Salvation Army facility. It was decided to keep the event at SWSC and possibly take a new venue into consideration next year.
- There is still a need for someone to be in charge of the legal services subcommittee.
- The Dental Bus has been confirmed. One dentist has been confirmed. Ideally, three more dentists would be a good number, but one more is definitely needed.
- The advertisement poster will be discussed at the next meeting.
- The Service Provider list will reviewed and updated at the next meeting.
- There will be more emphasis on promotion this year and it will begin earlier.
- The Facebook page for the Stand Down is being updated after each meeting. Search www.facebook.com under Veterans Stand Down and look for Raleigh, NC. There will be a soldier's silhouette on an American flag for the photo.
Stand Down Coordinator
12 subcommittees have been formed to plan the Stand Down:
Legal Services – TBA
- Housing – Jimmie Watson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
PR-Media – Frank Lawrence (email@example.com)
Donations – Bob Williamson/Faith-based organizations
Operations – Rodney Tabron (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Volunteers – SWSC Veterans Support Group & Levonde Jones
Mainstream Services Mike Mescall (email@example.com)
Registration – Levonde Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- (Food Stamps, Medicaid, etc.)
VA Healthcare – Bob Williamson (email@example.com)
Currently we are in need for people to be on the legal aid subcommittee.
We are looking at other possible venues to hold the Stand Down event.
2013 Capital Area Veterans Stand Down Recap
The Stand Down held on October 18, 2013, received good reviews from participants and service providers. There were 284 registered participants and 151 service providers covering 40 programs. Planning is under way for next year's Stand Down.
St. John the Merciful newsletter