Requirements for Obtaining and/or Renewing a Concealed Handgun Permit
Applications are available at the Sheriff's Records Office, located on the first floor of the John H. Baker Jr. Public Safety Center, 330 S. Salisbury St., Raleigh. Office hours are 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m., Monday–Friday; telephone 919-856-6949.
Applications are now also available online. Please download and complete all three documents:
Concealed Handgun Permit Application
Mental Health Release Form
LiveScan for CCW Form
These forms can be completed electronically using a PDF reader capable of filling forms and/or Microsoft Word, as necessary, and then printed and brought with you to the Sheriff's Office.
Additionally, please familiarize yourself with the Do's and Don'ts of Carrying a Concealed Handgun.
Applications must be typed or printed and then notarized by Sheriff's Office personnel.
Fees are as follows:
Application Fee: $90; Renewal Fee: $75; Duplicate Fee: $15.
Fees are non-refundable and required by State Law. Applicant must meet all application requirements. (Note: Cash or Check only)
The Applicant must be:
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Be a United States citizen
- Be a resident of North Carolina for 30 days preceding the filing of the application
- Not suffer from a physical or mental infirmity that would prevent the safe handling of a handgun
At the time of application, the applicant must present:
- An original certificate of completion from a certified course adopted by the Criminal Justice Education Training Standards Commission (919-716-6470). Note: A certificate is not required for renewals.
- Valid photographic identification and proof of residence
- A completed Concealed Handgun Permit Application
- A completed Mental Health Release Form
- A completed LiveScan for CCW Form
Once you have submitted your CCW application, Sheriff's Office personnel will instruct you on how to obtain a set of fingerprints from CCBI (City-County Bureau of Identification). A CCBI agent is on duty at the Public Safety Center to take fingerprints only for CCW applicants. Note: Fingerprints are not required for renewals.
Fingerprint Hours at John H Baker, Jr. Public Safety Center:
8:30–11 a.m. & 1–4 p.m. CCW applicants only.
Fingerprint Fee: The cost for this service is $10 and is included in the Application Fee above.
Change-of-address procedure for CCW permits issued in Wake County:
- You must appear in person at the Wake County Sheriff's Office within 30 days of a change of address.
- Any time you have a change of residence, you must appear in person to complete a change-of-address form. At that point, you will be given a letter, which indicates that you have made notification of your address change. You must carry this letter in addition to your current CCW permit.
- If you do not wish to carry both the letter and your CCW permit, you may apply for a duplicate CCW card. The cost of the duplicate card is $15.
- If you are moving out of Wake County, you must go to the Sheriff's Office in the county to which you have moved to apply for the duplicate card. DO NOT go to that Sheriff's Office until you have personally appeared in Wake County and completed the above-mentioned change-of-address process. The Sheriff's Office in the county to which you have moved cannot make any changes until Wake County releases your records.