STEPS TO OBTAIN A DOMESTIC VIOLENCE PROTECTION ORDER
OR A 50C ORDER
- Go to the Wake County Courthouse at 316 Fayetteville St., Room 527, 5th Floor Civil Clerk of Court, and the Domestic Violence Unit and obtain a Domestic Violence Protection Order (DVPO) and complete it.
- Go to Courtroom 5A between 2:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. and give your paperwork to the Deputy working that courtroom. The Deputy will give it to the clerk in the courtroom.
- The Judge will call you to the stand, and you will be sworn in to testify about the complaint you have just filed.
- Once the Judge signs the paperwork, go back to Room 527. The Domestic Violence Clerk will make copies of your order, and it will be clocked in.
- Go to the Victims Services Unit of the Wake County Sheriff’s Office, Room 542. A Deputy will process your paperwork and answer any other questions that you may have.
Your order will then be sent out in the field for service on the defendant.
Questions? Call 919-856-5623 or visit the Domestic Violence Clerk in Room 527, 919-792-4100.