- New Applicants: 8:30–11:30 a.m. & 1–4 p.m., Monday–Friday
- Renewal Applicants: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m., Monday–Friday
- Duplicate & Address Changes: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m., Monday–Friday
At the time of submitting the application, the applicant must:
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Be a United States citizen
- Be a resident of North Carolina for 30 days preceding the filing of the application
- Be a resident of Wake County
- Not suffer from a physical or mental infirmity that would prevent the safe handling of a handgun
- Not have any of the prohibitions listed in NCGS 14-415.12(b) or Title 18, United States Code (U.S.C.), 922
At the time of application, the applicant must present:
- The original certificate of completion from a certified course adopted by the Criminal Justice Education Training Standards Commission (919-661-5980). Note: A certificate is not required for renewals.
- Valid photographic identification and proof of residence (NC Driver's License or ID card displaying your current residential address).
- Military personnel must bring forms 1380E (active duty) or DD-214 (discharged).
- Naturalized citizens must bring your Naturalization Certificate or a valid U.S. Passport
- U.S. citizens born outside of the U.S.A. to U.S. parent(s) must bring your documentation from the Department of State (Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Certificate of Citizenship, or Certification of Report of Birth)
- *The application must be printed after completing the on-line application and brought with you to our office (Note: If you complete the application at our kiosk in our office, the application will be printed at the customer service desk.)
- Initial Application Fee: $90
- Renewal Fee: $75
- Duplicate Fee: $15.
To begin the application process for a concealed handgun permit you may complete the application on line or in person:
ONLINE: Complete application & pay applicable fees
- Begin a new permit or renew a permit here.
- Applicable fee per permit (Cash, Credit or Debit), Non-refundable
- Four US dollars ($4.00) plus a credit card convenience fee, Non-refundable
- Duplicate Fees will NOT be available for On Line payment
*Note: No portion of the convenience fee is received by the Wake County Sheriff’s Office
- At the
John H. Baker Public Safety Center
330 S. Salisbury St.
Raleigh, NC 27602
- Applicable fee per permit (Only cash or check is accepted when completing the application process in our office.) Non-refundable
Once you have submitted your Concealed Handgun Permit application in person, Sheriff's Office personnel will instruct you on how to obtain a set of fingerprints from CCBI (City-County Bureau of Identification). A CCBI agent is on duty at the Public Safety Center to take fingerprints only for CHP applicants.
*Note: Fingerprints may be required when renewing your permit.
Fingerprint Hours at John H. Baker, Jr. Public Safety Center:
8:30–11:30 a.m. & 1–4 p.m. Concealed Handgun Permit applicants only.
Applicants who have completed the on-line application and made an appointment will receive priority. Walk-ins will be accepted as time permits.
*Note: Fingerprint fee is $10.00, however it is included in the above application fee.
Change-of-address procedure for CHP permits issued in Wake County:
- You must appear in person at the Wake County Sheriff's Office within 30 days of a change of address.
- You MUST present a NC Driver's License or ID card displaying the new residential address.
- Any time you have a change of residence, you must appear in person to complete a change-of-address form. At that point, you will be given a letter, which indicates that you have made notification of your address change. You must carry this letter in addition to your current CHP permit.
- If you do not wish to carry both the letter and your CHP permit, you may apply for a duplicate CHP card. The cost of the duplicate card is $15.
- If you are moving out of Wake County, you must go to the Sheriff's Office in the county to which you have moved to apply for the duplicate card. DO NOT go to that Sheriff's Office until you have personally appeared in Wake County and completed the above-mentioned change-of-address process. The Sheriff's Office in the county to which you have moved cannot make any changes until Wake County releases your records.
*For additional information, please call 919-856-6949.
If your concealed handgun permit request is denied you will be notified:
- In writing or via email as to why it was denied.
What do I do if my concealed handgun permit is denied?
- You may appeal the decision to the Chief District Court Judge of Wake County
How do I appeal?
- North Carolina General Statute 14-415.15(c) provides that when an individual has been denied a concealed handgun permit or had a concealed handgun permit revoked or a nonrenewal of a concealed handgun permit by the Sheriff, the individual has the right to appeal the denial / revocation / nonrenewal.
- The individual may appeal the decision by submitting a written or typed petition (statement) to a District Court Judge setting forth the reasons for appeal.
- The petition along with a copy of the Sheriff’s notice of denial / revocation / nonrenewal must be submitted with a filing fee of $150.00 Dollars (personal checks will not be accepted), to the Clerk of Superior Court, Civil Division, Wake County Courthouse located at 316 Fayetteville Street Raleigh, N.C. 27602.
- Generally appeal of a denial/revocation/nonrenewal of concealed handgun permits are considered by a District Court Judge without hearing. The District Court Judge will notify the individual of his/her decision in writing.
NC Department of Justice