• ​You’ll need a certified copy of your marriage license in order to change your name on your driver’s license and your Social Security card. Wait at least 10 (TEN) days after the ceremony is performed to allow sufficient time for your license to be returned to the Register of Deeds. You may visit the office or request it by mail at: P. 0. Box 1897, Raleigh, NC 27602.
  • In your request, include the name of each partner, date of the marriage and the address where copies should be mailed. Certified copies of your marriage license are $10 each. Check or cash will be accepted.
  • Present the certified copy of your marriage license along with other required documentation to the Social Security Administration. After applying for a new Social Security card, you should wait at least 24 hours before going to the Department of Motor Vehicles to update your driver's license. The Social Security Administration is at 4701 Old Wake Forest Road in Raleigh. The phone number is 877-803-6311.
Note: Your Social Security card or W-2 form AND a current ID with your name and date of birth is required to get a marriage license.