The Register of Deeds office records military separation documents known as a DD214 record.
Military discharges have restricted public access.
There is no charge to record or obtain a copy of a military discharge.
The service member must provide a government- issued ID to record or obtain certified copies of military discharges. However, N.C.G.S § 47-113(2) allows authorized parties to record or request certified copies of recorded military discharges.
Authorized parties include:
  • Subject of the record
  • Widow or widower of deceased spouse 
  • Agents and representatives of the subject authorized in writing by the subject
  • Authorized agents of Veterans Affairs
  • Authorized court official with an interest in assisting the subject
  • NC State Archives