- First, determine whether the name you have selected has already been filed by another party. It is your responsibility to perform a business name search. The Register of Deeds Information Center is available to help if you need it.
- Register of Deeds Information Center - Phone: 919-856-5476
- North Carolina Department of the Secretary of State - Phone: 919-807-2226
- Things you need to know when doing a search:
The following words are abbreviated unless the abbreviation falls as the first word of the nonhuman or corporate name:
|Savings and Loan
|Bank and Trust
- When initials are part of the name, search with and without spaces between the initials.
- Search using different spellings of words (e.g., two, 2, too, to).
- Search with and without leading articles (e.g., a, the)
- Some examples of types of searches you need to be aware of are:
- Actual company name: The Marketing Department
Indexed as: Marketing Dept The
- Actual company name: A Clean Sweep
Indexed as: Clean Sweep