Frequently asked questions


What is your address?

The Wake County Register of Deeds office is at the Wake County Justice Center, 300 S. Salisbury St., Suite 1700, Raleigh, NC 27601.  For directions, visit our General Information webpage.

Our mailing address is: P.O. Box 1897, Raleigh, NC 27602.

For more contact information, visit the Contact Us page on our website.

Where do I park?

Parking decks and on-street parking are available close by the Register of Deeds office.  For more information, including a map, please see Business Hours and Directions on the General Information section of our website.

What are your hours of operation?

Business Hours Monday - Friday *
Document Recording: 8:30 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Customers who wish to record documents must be in the recording line by 4:45 p.m.
Marriage Licenses: 8:30 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Applicants for a marriage license must arrive by 4:45 p.m.
Notary Oaths: 8:30 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Birth and Death Records: 8:30 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Public Information Research: 8:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m.
* Note: Business hours exclude County-observed holidays.

Can anyone access the information contained in the Register of Deeds office?

Yes. The information in our office is public record.

How can I obtain general information about the services offered by the Register of Deeds office?

In addition to our website, we offer a recorded information line at 919-856-5460.  Topics covered include: hours of operation, marriage licenses, UCC (Uniform Commercial Code), satisfactions and obtaining copies of recorded documents.

How do I add or remove names from a deed?

Deed name changes require the submittal of a new deed to the Register of Deeds office.  We suggest that you consult an attorney unless you are familiar with creating legal documents.  Click here to look up recording fees.  You may also have to pay excise tax at the rate of $2 per thousand dollars of the purchase price.

What is the excise tax calculation on a deed?

    Aug. 1, 1991, to present  $2 per thousand
    1969 to July 1991 $1 per thousand
    Prior to 1968 $1.10 per thousand

How can I register a business or assumed name?

Contact the Register of Deeds office to establish an Assumed Name or DBA (Doing Business As).  A name search should be performed prior to making a request.  It is the customer's responsibility to search our database, but the Register of Deeds staff can assist you with the name search.  For forms and additional information please visit our Filing an Assumed Name webpage.

How do I obtain an initial appointment or reappointment form for a notary public?

All notary public forms are available at the North Carolina Department of the Secretary of State website.  You will need to mail the application form to the North Carolina Department of the Secretary of State.  The North Carolina Department of the Secretary of State will notify you to take an oath at the Register of Deeds office.

Do I need an appointment to take a notary public oath?  What should I bring with me?

No appointment is necessary.  Once you receive notification from the North Carolina Department of the Secretary of State's office, come in any time between 8:30 a.m. and 4:45 p.m.  Bring your notice from the North Carolina Department of the Secretary of State’s office.  The notary public oath fee is $10.  You must show a photo ID when taking the oath.

Can I obtain a copy of a birth or death certificate from your office or online?

Yes.  You can obtain a certified copy of a Wake County birth or death certificate in person or Online* from the Wake County Register of Deeds office, located in the Wake County Justice Center, 300 S. Salisbury St., Suite 1700, Raleigh, NC 27601.  For more information, visit our Birth and Death Records section.

Please note that death registration should be filed at Wake County Human Services, located at 10 Sunnybrook Road, Raleigh, NC 27610.  Their telephone number is 919-250-3917.

NC Vital Records houses birth and death records for the state of North Carolina.  For more information, visit the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services NC Vital Records website or call NC Vital Records at 919-733-3000.

Where can I obtain a Removal of Graves Certificate form and where are they filed?

Removal of Graves Certificates permanently record the facts pertaining to the relocation of graves.  Forms are obtained from the Wake County Planning department.  Certificates are then filed at Wake County Register of Deeds office.

Can the Register of Deeds tell me who owns property at a specific address?

The Register of Deeds land records system, BOOKS, is name-based.  To search for a property by address, visit the Wake County Revenue website or call 919-856-5400.

How do I obtain a copy of a deed?

All deeds from 1785 to the present are available through our website via the BOOKS Consolidated Real Property Index system free of charge.  Copies made from the BOOKS database inside the Register of Deeds office are 15¢ per page.  You may also request a copy by mail at a cost of 15¢ per page.  Original deed books prior to February 1901 are stored in the State Archives.

How do I obtain a copy of the map to my property?

All survey or subdivision maps recorded since 1885 are available via BOOKS database free of charge.  Typically, the individual lot surveys are not recorded with the Register of Deeds office.

Copies of maps from the BOOKS database at the Register of Deeds office are $1 per page.  You may also request a copy by mail at a cost of $1 per page.

Click here for the real estate document request form.

Note: Survey map book numbers begin with 'BM' (Book of Maps) followed by the year of recording (e.g., BM1999).  Survey maps are separated into NC (North Carolina), LRM (Land Records Management), and COTT data according to record date, with the following exception.  Maps recorded before 1978 will be found in NC Land Records Management database because they were recently added to the system.

Search Type Description:
NC LRM Standards = 10/1/91 to present and backfile prior to 1/1/74
COTT = 1/1/74 to 9/30/91.

How do I find protective/restrictive covenants for my subdivision?

If a Wake County subdivision has protective or restrictive covenants, they may be on file with the Wake County Register of Deeds office and retrievable online from our online BOOKS database.  Because covenants can be found under many different document types (restrv covnts, decln, covnts, protv covnts, etc.), you should not enter a specific document type in your search criteria.  Instead, enter part of the subdivision name into the grantor field, select grantor type of "Firm / Non-human" and click Search.  You will need to scan the list of results for the covenants.

 Learn more about finding protective/restrictive covenants.

Where can I get a tax map/P.I.N. map, topo (topography) map or aerial map?

Wake County GIS (Geographic Information Services) can supply these maps.  GIS is on the fifth floor of the Wake County Office Building, 337 S. Salisbury St., Raleigh., and can be reached at 919-856-6370.

The GIS website link is: GIS IMAPS application (Internet Multi Access Parcel System).

How do I find out about outstanding liens (mechanics liens) and judgments?

Contact the Clerk of Court's office in the courthouse at 919-792-4200 or visit the Wake County Clerk of Court Civil Division website.


What steps do I take to get married?

If you are getting married in North Carolina, you must obtain a license from a Register
of Deeds office in North Carolina.  The license is valid for 60 days. No appointment
is necessary when applying.  Marriage licenses are issued from 8:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., Monday through Friday.  No marriage licenses will be issued after 4:45 p.m. It is necessary for couples to arrive at the office before 4:45 p.m. to complete the paperwork necessary to obtain a marriage license.  The cost of the marriage license
is $60.

Note: Your Social Security card or W-2 form AND a current ID with your name and date of birth is required to get a marriage license.  See Age Requirements.

Marriages may be performed by an ordained minister of any religious denomination, a minister authorized by a church, a magistrate or a federally or state-recognized Indian Nation or tribe.  For more information, visit our 
Marriage License webpage.

For customers with
out Internet access, our recorded information line (919-856-5460) provides information on the requirements for marriage, as well.


Once I have a marriage license, whom do I contact for a civil ceremony or marriage by the justice of the peace?

  • Marriages are performed in the Wake County Justice Center by a magistrate Monday through Friday (except holidays).  The fee is $20 (cash only) and no appointment is necessary.  Marriages are performed in Courtroom 901 from
    10–11:45 a.m. and 1:30–4:15 p.m. If you need further assistance, please call
    919-792-4900 and leave a voicemail message for the magistrate.  Someone will return your call.
  • If you wish to be married in the evening, the weekend or on a holiday, the Magistrate's Office within the Wake County Hammond Road Detention Center
    can provide this service.  The Hammond Road Detention Center is located at 3301 Hammond Road in Raleigh.  Weddings will be performed at Hammond Road between 5–10 p.m., Monday to Friday and 10 a.m.–10 p.m., weekends and holidays.  Ceremonies are performed on a first-come, first-served basis, and no appointments are necessary.  The marriage fee is $20, and must be paid in cash.
    If you need further assistance, please call 919-255-7700.
  • You must provide two witnesses, 18 years of age or older, with a valid photo ID.  The magistrates do not provide witnesses.

 How do I change my name after marriage?

Obtain a certified copy of your marriage license at the Register of Deeds office.  Present it along with other required documentation to the Social Security Administration.  After applying for a new Social Security card, you should wait at least 24 hours before going to the Department of Motor Vehicles to update your driver's license.  The Social Security Administration is at 4701 Old Wake Forest Road in Raleigh; the telephone number is 1-800-772-1213.

How do I obtain a copy of my marriage license?

If you obtained your marriage license in Wake County, you may request a copy by mail, in person or Online*.  Copies are usually available 10 days after the wedding ceremony occurs.  Provide the name of each party, the date of the marriage and a return address.  A certified copy of a marriage license is $10; an uncertified copy is 15¢.  For more information, visit our Marriage License webpage.

* Original marriage records from 1931 to present are stored in our office.  Original marriage records from 1800 through 1930 are stored at the State Archives (919-807-7350); however, microfilm copies of the older records are available in our office.

How do I legally change my name for reasons other than marriage?

Obtain information about name changes for reasons other than marriage from the Wake County Clerk of Court’s office.  You may also call 919-792-4600.

How do I obtain a copy of my divorce?

If the divorce was processed in Wake County, you may obtain a copy from the Clerk of Court's office on the eleventh floor of the Courthouse.  For more information, visit the Clerk of Superior Court website.

How do I file separation papers?

You are advised to have an attorney prepare the separation papers for you.  Both parties must sign the document, and their signatures must be notarized.  We accept cash, check or money order for the recording fee.  Look up fees

Why do my Social Security, driver's license or account numbers show up on recorded documents.  Can you hide it or secure them?

Occasionally documents are recorded that contain personal information such as Social Security, driver's license or account numbers.  N.C.G.S. § 132-1.10(f) allows the Register of Deeds to redact these numbers if we receive a completed redaction request form signed by the requester.  The completed form can be delivered by mail, in person or by fax 919-856-5467.

If you provide your phone number on the redaction request form, our office will call you when the redaction is complete.

See more information on hiding/securing the Social Security, driver's license or account numbers.


* Online Vital Record Request: There is a $10 County charge per certified copy, plus a nominal vendor convenience fee, which varies.