Total County Waste Generation and Landfill Needs
- Total County population – 929,780 in 2011
- Total municipal waste generation – 650,000 tons in 2006, 800,000 tons in 2016
- Municipal/County partnership process concluded that in-county landfill was best option
- Need to provide for 25-year disposal capacity
- Due to significant increases in recycling efforts, the total disposal volumes at the South Wake Landfill are approximately 400,000–450,000 tons per year.
Landfill Size and Key Elements
- 179 acres of disposal area
- 290 acres of buffer and soil excavation area
- Household and commercial waste disposal
- Citizen drop-off facilities at the site
- Opened in February 2008
- Citizen Committee to connect with community
Landfill Impact On County Taxes and Property Values
- Operates on enterprise fund system – no County taxes
- $20 per year County household fee for other facilities
- Studies show impacts are in the planning period.
- Property values around North Wake Landfill escalate at or above average.
- Impermeable Synthetic Base Liner System to protect water quality
- Monitoring to protect groundwater
- Gas system and monitoring to protect air
- Minimized wetlands disturbance
- Leachate to Holly Springs sewer system
- Operating protocol to stop unacceptable waste
- Site and roadside litter clean-up protocol
Have questions or need more information? Contact Johnny Beal or call 919-856-7400.