South Wake Landfill
6300 Old Smithfield Road, Apex [map]
Open: Monday–Saturday, 7 a.m.–4 p.m.
Closed: Sundays, New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve (at 1 p.m.) and Christmas Day

ATTENTION GARBAGE HAULERS: You may experience significant delays at the East Wake Transfer Station due to COVID-19. Haulers are encouraged to take waste directly to the South Wake Landfill or an alternate municipal solid waste transfer station until further notice.

East Wake Transfer Station – Commercial Customers ONLY
820 Corporation Parkway, Raleigh [map]
Open: Monday–Saturday, 6 a.m.–3 p.m. (Wake County businesses only) |
Closed: Sundays, New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve (at noon) and Christmas Day

Tipping Fees:
Tipping Fee Structure
(cost per ton)
​South Wake Landfill ​East Wake Transfer Station ​Additional Information
Municipal Solid Waste (Garbage)​ $32/ton​ $41/ton​
Please note, the tip fee includes the $2 per ton State of North Carolina excise tax.
Corrugated Cardboard (OCC) Surcharge ​ $62/ton​ $80/ton​ Surcharge applies to MSW loads than have 10% or more corrugated cardboard​.
Acceptable Payment Methods:
Acceptable Items:
  • Municipal solid waste
Unacceptable Items:
  • Aluminum beverage cans – accepted at Multi-Material Recycling Facilities
  • Barrels and drums that are not perforated sufficiently to ensure that no liquid or hazardous waste is contained therein
  • Burning or smoldering materials
  • Construction and Demolition debris
  • Flammable and volatile wastes
  • Hazardous wastes – "Hazardous waste" means a solid waste or combination of solid wastes that, because of its quantity, concentration or physical, chemical or infectious characteristics, may:
    • Cause or significantly contribute to an increase in mortality or an increase in serious irreversible or incapacitating, reversible illness; or
    • Pose a substantial present or potential hazard to human health or the environment when improperly treated, stored, transported or disposed of or otherwise managed.
  • Infectious wastes, except as provided by the N.C. Solid Waste Management Rules. "Infectious waste" means a solid waste capable of producing an infectious disease. The types of waste designated as infectious are microbiological waste, pathological waste, blood products and sharps.
  • Lead-acid batteries – accepted at Multi-Material Recycling Facilities
  • Liquids
  • Mattresses and box springs – accepted at the South Wake Landfill. Limit 6 mattress/box springs per load at the East Wake Transfer Station.
  • Pesticide containers – accepted at Multi-Material Recycling Facilities
  • Raw sewage sludge, septic tank pumpings, or raw manure
  • Semi-solids
  • Sludges from industrial processes or sludges containing free moisture
  • Used scrap tires – accepted at Multi-Material Recycling Facilities
  • White goods – accepted at Multi-Material Recycling Facilities
  • Yard waste
  • Any other item or material prohibited by local, state and/or federal regulations
Federal and State regulations require that as of January 1, 1998, all sanitary landfills must incorporate a liner and leachate collection system. This adds an additional layer of protection for groundwater when combined with the County's Permanent Household Hazardous Waste Collection facilities; State ban on white goods, used motor oil and lead-acid batteries; vehicle load inspections; and an extensive public education program.
Wake County residents using the South Wake Landfill are not charged for disposal of their solid waste under the following conditions:
  • They do not use a commercial vehicle.
  • Vehicle and/or trailer has single axle.
  • All vehicles must stop on the scales prior to entering landfill. Solid waste transported in open-body vehicles must be secured to prevent spills and/or blown debris.
  • Commercially hauled municipal solid waste loads containing 10 percent or more recyclable corrugated cardboard or construction and demolition debris will be assessed a surcharge.
Establish a credit account at the Landfill
Businesses may be able to establish a credit account at the South Wake Landfill or East Wake Transfer Station. To do so, complete the Landfill Credit ApplicationOnce completed, print, sign and submit the form by mail, fax or email.
Have questions or need more information, contact Roy Baldwin.