Richard B. Harrison Library is a 9,400 SF community library located on New Bern Avenue in Raleigh. This facility was originally built in 1967 by the City of Raleigh. It was designed by Raleigh architect G. Milton Small. Its clean rectilinear design, exposed black steel structure and fascia, and exposed wood slat ceiling represent the International Style of architectural design prevalent in Raleigh in the 1950's and 1960's. Wake County assumed management of the library from the City of Raleigh in 1989.
In 2011, a comprehensive renovation of the building was completed. The scope of the
project included life cycle replacements for the roof, mechanical system, lighting, security, exterior windows, doors and interior finishes. Space within the building was reconfigured to provide for better circulation, visibility and display shelving for both the library system's regular collection and for the special historic Mollie Huston Lee collection.
Finally, a new entrance ramp was constructed from the parking area, and various improvements were made to the exterior grounds, parking area and landscaping surrounding the building.