Olivia Raney Library Front View



Site Location​

4016 Carya Drive
Raleigh, NC  27610




PROJECT SUMMARY

The Olivia Raney Local History Library is located in Raleigh at the Wake County Office Park. It opened at this location in 1995. The original Olivia Raney Library opened in 1901 in downtown Raleigh and was the city's first public library. It was a gift to the people by Richard Beverly Raney, a successful businessman, in loving memory of his then recently departed wife. The library remained open until 1962 and was later demolished. The library reopened at a different downtown location on Fayetteville Street a year later until closing in 1985.

The renovation project addressed many aging building systems of the facility including interior finishes, lighting and heating/air. The renovated spaces have a fresh look and bring added efficiencies to the facility for the coming years.
 
 

BUILDING INFORMATION

Parking: Existing
Building Area: ​7,845 SF
Collection Size: ​Special Collections – Local History and Genealogy
Projected Circulation: ​Non-circulating library holdings
Programs Offered: Local History and Genealogy
Architect: Huffman Architects, PA
Contractor: H.M. Kern Corporation
Construction Cost: ​$700,000
Opened to the Public: ​August 2020


Click on image for larger view


Olivia Rainey Local History Library