We encounter wildlife in our daily life, often from a distance. What are you to do when the interaction is a bit closer to home? Wildlife interactions can be seen as a nuisance, destructive to property or result in injury or abandonment of the animal.

Nuisance Wildlife

Some wildlife behavior and interactions are considered to be a nuisance such as crossing roads, nesting and feeding around the home, creating excessive noise and defecating around the home. The North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission provides guidance to assist property owners in solving the problems of "nuisance" wildlife.

Property Destruction – Wildlife Damage Control

Damage to or destruction of property by wildlife is often associated with feeding and nesting activities. The damage can typically be mitigated by removing the food source and closing off access to the structure. The Internet Center for Wildlife Damage Management offers techniques and strategies to prevent the damage.

When prevention fails, removing the animals from the area may be the next option. The North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission certifies and trains Wildlife Damage Control Agents to issue depredation permits to residents and to provide assistance in controlling the animal causing the damage. A depredation permit grants the landowner or lessee permission to remove the animal(s) when significant property damage is demonstrated. The permit is free, but the Wildlife Damage Control Agent may charge a fee for services which would be negotiated and agreed to between the landowner and the agent. If removal or a depredation permit is desired, contact a Wildlife Damage Control Agent.

Orphaned and Injured Wildlife

The human interaction with wildlife may unintentionally lead to injury or abandonment. Many young animals are left alone by adults, which return only to feed them. To determine if the animal is truly orphaned, it is best to leave the animal undisturbed and observe it from a distance to see if the parents return. If you determine that the animal is orphaned, contact a Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator who can care for the animal and release it back into its natural environment. The North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission urges the public to leave fawns alone; however, should you discover an orphan deer, call the Wildlife Enforcement Division at 800-662-7137 for assistance. In the case of an endangered or threatened species, contact the Wildlife Enforcement Division or the US Fish and Wildlife Service at 919-856-4786.
When you find an injured animal contact a Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator for assistance. The Triangle Wildlife Rehabilitation Clinic in Durham operates a wildlife hospital to care for sick, injured and orphaned native wildlife. Follow their suggested guidelines for handling these animals.

For both orphans and injuries, bats, foxes, raccoons and skunks should be left alone to fend for themselves, as they cannot be rehabilitated due to the possibility of rabies.

Wildlife Frequently Asked Questions