​As you carve the pumpkin and fill those bowls of candy, please be aware that your furry friend may stumble upon dangers. Many favorite Halloween traditions pose a potential threat to pets

No Chocolate: Even if your pet has a sweet tooth, ingesting chocolate – especially dark chocolate – can be dangerous for dogs and cats, possibly causing vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity and seizures.

No Sweets: Candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol can be poisonous to dogs. Even small amounts can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, leading to depression, lack of coordination and seizures.
 
Decorations: Keep cords from lights and other decorations out of reach. If your pets chews on them, they could damage their mouth or receive a harmful or fatal electrical shock.
 
Costumes: Pet costumes can cause skin irritations, tripping hazards and could impair vision and breathing.
 
Popular Halloween decorations such as pumpkins and Indian corn are considered to be relatively nontoxic, yet they can cause gastrointestinal upsets if ingested and could even cause intestinal blockage if large pieces are swallowed.
 
Lastly, strangers coming to your door in costume may scare and upset your pets. Keep your pets inside in a separate room away from the door so that your pet does not dart outside. And always make sure your pet is wearing its collar with identification on it in case they do escape and become lost. Pets with ID are much more likely to be reunited with their owners.