Built around 1900, when the Job P. Wyatt family owned Oak View, the Livestock Barn has sliding double doors. Shed wings were added by the Poole family on both the east and west sides in the early 1940s. This barn was once home to the farm’s horses and mules – additional animals were housed in other barns around the property that are no longer standing. Today, our Livestock Barn serves as the home for the park's Nubian goats.

The Livestock Barn also includes an interactive area for children where they can learn about animals on the farm and some farm equipment. This area is open to the public as long as there is no group receiving a program in the barn. It is most frequently closed between 10 a.m. and noon on weekdays during the traditional school year. Visitors are welcome to call for details about the hours it will be open on a specific day.



When the barn was built around 1900, it only had a single entrance, or bay. In the 1940s the Poole family added two wings, or side sheds. The photograph above shows the Livestock Barn with only a single side wing. ​One wing collapsed after Hurricane Hazel in 1954, but Wake County restored it before the site opened to the public.

Below is a recent photograph of the barn taken in 2017.