​The Oak View Cotton Gin House was built by Job Wyatt around 1900, which allowed Oak View to gin its own cotton. Oak View’s Gin House was a community cooperative – cotton farmers in the surrounding area could bring their cotton crop to be ginned in exchange for payment or working in the gin house. Powered by gasoline engines, the gins on the second floor ran day and night during the harvest season, separating the cotton lint from the seeds. After ginning, the cotton was packed into 500- to 700-pound bales and loaded on wagons to be taken to the market for sale. Today, the gin house functions as the cotton museum, interpreting the labor-intensive process of cotton farming and manufacturing.



The photograph above was taken in the 1990s before restoration work was begun on the Cotton Gin House.

Below is a recent photograph of the Cotton Gin House taken in 2017.