​The Carriage House was built around 1900 by the Wyatt family. It featured two open upper bays and one lower bay for housing wagons and carriages. The Wyatts’ primary residence was in Raleigh, but they spent most weekends at Oak View. The family had an automobile that they would drive to visit the property, and they used the Carriage House as a garage. When the Poole family made their extensive improvements in the 1940s, they permanently converted the Carriage House into a two-car garage, which reflects the way that the Carriage House looks today.

 

CarriageHouse2_web.jpg

​In the photograph above, the Carriage House appears in the background of a Job P. Wyatt and Sons Company picnic.

Below is a recent photograph of the Carriage House taken in 2017.

CarraigeHouse_web.jpg