Built around 1825, the Plank Kitchen is the oldest building on the property. The one-room building most likely served as a temporary residence for the Williams family when they acquired the property in 1829 but had not yet built their house. Following the construction of the Main Farmhouse in 1855, the building functioned as the kitchen. The Plank Kitchen continued to function as the farm’s kitchen until the 1940s, when the Poole family added electricity to the property and built an indoor kitchen in the main house. 
Above is the Plank Kitchen before any restoration work was done by Wake County. The building was restored in the 1990s. Below is a current photograph of the Plank Kitchen, taken in 2017.