Picnicking opportunities are available for both large groups and individual families. There is a lakeside picnic area with picnic tables placed in several locations. These tables are first come, first served.
For groups there are three picnic shelters available for rental.
Longleaf Shelter $80 (100-person max capacity)
Loblolly Shelter $60 (50-person max capacity)
Cypress Shelter $60 (50-person max capacity)
Reservations are taken on the first Monday in February for the upcoming shelter season. For reservations, please contact the park office at 919-387-4342.
Harris Lake County Park Rules and Shelter Guidelines
- Grills are for charcoal use only.
- Do not pour water or any other liquids over coals or grill surfaces.
- Leave the charcoal in the grills when finished – we will dispose of the charcoal.
- Pig cookers and gas grills may be used only on the gravel grill pads provided near your shelter. Take proper measures to ensure grease does not drip in shelters or on grill pads. Do not leave grills unattended.
Trash and Recycling:
- Leave shelter and all areas of the park your group uses free of litter. These areas include the playground, volleyball court, fishing pier, open play area and restroom building. Dispose of trash in the trashcans provided. When picking up litter, pay special attention to the small items in and around the shelter. Litter is not only unsightly but poses a threat to our wildlife.
- Small litter from silly string, drink straw wrappers, etc., must be picked up.
- Remove all tape and tacks from the tables and shelter supports. Return shelter tables to their original positions.
- Use recycling bins properly:
- Plastic beverage bottles and aluminum beverage cans are items acceptable in the recycle bins. Please encourage recycling.
- Please do not place trash in the recycling bins!
General Park Rules and Guidelines:
- NO alcoholic beverages, water balloons, hunting, amplified music, PA systems, overnight camping, campfires, directional shelter signs, swimming/wading, or littering is allowed in the park.
- Do not feed the wildlife!
- Do not release any wildlife into the park or remove any wildlife or plants from the park.
- Park only in designated areas, not along the roads or in the shelter area.
- No additional directional signage is permitted at front entrance or along road side leading to shelter. Please provide shelter name and location on your invitations to help guide your group to their appropriate shelter.
- Children should not be left unattended in the park and MUST be supervised at all times.
- The playfield, volleyball area and playground are first come, first served only – they cannot be reserved.
- Recreational equipment such as play structures, inflatables and pools are not permitted – please see staff for more details.
- Please report any improper activities or hazards to park staff immediately.
- Dogs must be kept on a leash. Please clean up their waste!
- There is no water access for shelter use.