Take Wake County Parks' Junior NATURALIST Challenge
Youth ages 5–15
Get started on becoming a Wake County Park Junior NATURALIST. Register at any Wake County Park or download the Park Challenge Form
and mail it to Harris Lake County Park.
Registration is free, but spaces are limited!
Here’s the challenge:
Visit and participate in two programs, camps, events and/or volunteer opportunities at all of the following Wake County Parks:
Challenge must be completed within one year of registration to become one of Wake County Park’s Junior Naturalists.
Send completed scorecard to Harris Lake County Park!
Each registered Junior NATURALIST will receive:
- A Challenge Completion Card to record completed programs at each park
- Pins with each park logo, awarded to participants after the completion of two programs*, camps or events at each particular park
*On occasion programs may be canceled or rescheduled.
Upon Completion of the challenge, the Junior NATURALIST will receive:
- A daypack, made out of recycled fabric, is awarded to participants who complete their entire challenge; these can be added to their Wake County Park pins to showcase their achievement at becoming a Wake County Parks Junior Naturalist.
Some Rules of the Challenge:
- Child must be between the ages of 5 and 15 to participate.
- Participant must be registered in challenge to receive credit for program/camp/event.
- Participants still pay regular price for programs/camps and events that charge a fee.
- Challenge must be completed within one year of registration to become one of Wake County Park’s Junior Naturalists.
- Child can only complete entire challenge once!
- If challenge is not completed, then child can start over and participate in the next challenge. Please be aware that child will not receive additional pins previously awarded.
- Participants will be notified of completed challenge card.
- Challenge award will be given out at one of Wake County’s seven parks. Participant chooses which park to pick up award.
- Discovery Boxes can be used as one credit, but the additional credit must be a lead program or volunteer work. Please schedule ahead of time with specific park.
- Volunteer work must be scheduled at least two weeks in advance and upon park availability.
- Child does not have to be a Wake County resident to participate.
- Remember to plan ahead to get your challenge completed! Family programs and events are offered throughout the year at different parks!