Quick Launch

Wake County News > Posts > Wake Issues Rabies Notices for Knightdale Residents
October 09
Wake Issues Rabies Notices for Knightdale Residents

Anyone Bitten or Scratched by Unknown Animals Should Call Animal Control

Wake County would like to inform people who live in the vicinity of Hodge and Lynnwood roads in Knightdale that rabies was confirmed in a raccoon on Thursday, October 8, 2015. Wake County Animal Control responded to the case and the raccoon was taken to the State Lab in Raleigh for testing. The raccoon was found in the backyard of a private property, and there were two instances of animal exposure and two possible instances of human exposure.

"It is important that residents in Knightdale are informed of cases like these," said Sue Lynn Ledford, Public Health Division Director for Wake County. "If the exposed animals were unvaccinated, there is potential for exposure."

"We encourage pet owners to comply with the North Carolina law and keep their pets' rabies vaccinations current, including their indoor pets," said Wake Animal Services Director Dr. Jennifer Federico. "If a pet is exposed to rabies and has up-to-date rabies vaccines, the pet is required by law to be taken to a veterinarian for a booster shot to boost their immune system; however, if pets are not vaccinated, state law requires exposed pets to be humanely euthanized unless the owners agree to support a six-month quarantine."

Animal Control officers are concerned about possible exposure of unvaccinated animals, particularly pets, in the Knightdale area. Anyone who sees an animal acting in an unusual manner is urged to call Wake County Animal Control. Animal Control officials urge the following:

  • Do not approach animals you don't know.
  • Ensure your pets have a current rabies vaccination. If a pet is allowed outside, a booster vaccine is recommended. Outdoor pets should be kept inside until they receive booster vaccines.
  • Do not feed stray or unknown animals, including cats and dogs.
  • Do not leave trash or food outside, unless it is in a trash can with a tight-fitting lid.
  • If a pet is fed outside, do not leave food out overnight.
  • If a pet comes in contact with an animal that might be rabid, contact a veterinarian immediately.

To report animal complaints and stray animals:

  • In Wake County (except Cary, Garner, Holly Springs and Raleigh), call 919-212-PETS (7387);
  • In Cary, call 919-319-4517;
  • In Garner, call 919-772-8896;
  • In Holly Springs, call 919-557-9111; and
  • In Raleigh, call 919-831-6311.

Learn more about rabies.





         Wake County Departments & Agencies: