Quick Launch

Wake County News > Posts > Wake Issues Rabies Notice for Rolesville Residents
October 09
Wake Issues Rabies Notice for Rolesville Residents

Anyone Bitten or Scratched by Unknown Animals Should Call Animal Control

Wake County would like to inform people who live in the vicinity of Wall Creek Drive and South Main Street in Rolesville that rabies was confirmed in a raccoon Wednesday, October 8, 2014. Wake County Animal Control responded to the case, and the raccoon was taken to the State Lab in Raleigh for testing. The raccoon came in contact with two dogs.

"We don't want to alarm residents in Rolesville, but they should be aware of these cases and of the potential for exposure to themselves, family members and their pets," said Sue Lynn Ledford, Community Health director for Wake County.

In this case the dogs were not vaccinated for rabies. State law requires potentially rabid pets to be destroyed unless owners agree to support a six-month quarantine.

"All pets are required by law to receive the rabies vaccination," said Wake Animal Services Director Dr. Jennifer Federico. "Vaccinating your pets is critical in helping prevent the spread of disease."

Animal Control officers are concerned about possible exposure of unvaccinated animals, particularly pets, in the Rolesville area. Anyone who sees an animal acting in an unusual manner is urged to call Wake County Animal Control. Animal Control officials urge the following:

  • Do not approach animals you do not know.
  • Ensure your pets have a current rabies vaccination. If a pet is allowed outside, a booster vaccine is recommended. Outdoor pets should be kept inside until after they receive booster vaccines.
  • Do not feed stray or unknown animals, including cats and dogs.
  • Do not leave trash or food outside, unless it is in a trash can with a tight-fitting lid.
  • If a pet is fed outside, do not leave food out overnight.
  • If a pet comes in contact with an animal that might be rabid, contact a veterinarian immediately.

To report animal complaints and stray animals:

  • In Wake County (except Cary, Garner, Holly Springs and Raleigh), call 919-212-PETS (7387).
  • In Cary, call 919-319-4517.
  • In Garner, call 919-772-8896.
  • In Holly Springs, call 919-557-9111.
  • In Raleigh, call 919-831-6311.





         Wake County Departments & Agencies: