Quick Launch

 

 Error

 
Web Part Error: An error has occurred.
Wake County News > Posts > Wake Reaches One Million Residents
August 18
Wake Reaches One Million Residents

Wake Hits a MillionAt its regular meeting on Monday, August 18, 2014, the Board of Commissioners was presented with the information that Wake County would likely reach one million residents by Friday, August 22, 2014. There was a 65 percent chance the millionth resident would move into the county and a 35 percent chance he or she would be a birth.

"As we have known and heard today, the County is growing quickly," said Wake County Board of Commissioners Chair Phil Matthews. "Wake County continues to be a fantastic place to live and do business. It is so important to keep in mind our County's growth as we think and prepare for the future. We are big, and we need to think big."

The County's Planning, Development and Inspections Office, in partnership with the UNC Carolina Population Center, determined that between April 1, 2010, and July 1, 2013, Wake's population grew by 73,271 persons – an average of 62 persons a day. The net population growth (natural increase and net migration) is factored into the County's overall population increase. View the calculation.

In celebration of the County's milestone, the community is asked to share their favorite Wake County memories by using the hash tag #WakeHitsAMillion on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

"We continue to factor our growth as we develop the County's goals and priorities," said County Manager Jim Hartmann. "Wake has the right tools in place – triple-A bond rating, a forward-thinking board – that allows us to think strategically about our future."

View more information, including an informational graphic, and see the count up to a million residents.


FacebookTwitterE-newslettersFlickr