Quick Launch

Wake County News > Posts > Wake Issues Rabies Notice for Apex
May 29
Wake Issues Rabies Notice for Apex

Anyone Bitten or Scratched by Unknown Animals Should Call Animal Control

Wake County would like to inform people who live in the vicinity of New Hill Olive Chapel Road and Olive Dairy Road in Apex that rabies was confirmed in a raccoon on Wednesday, May 28, 2014. The raccoon was taken to the State Lab in Raleigh for testing, and Animal Control was contacted with the results. The raccoon came in contact with two dogs.

"This is the second case of rabies within this area in six weeks," said Wake County Public Health Division Director Sue Lynn Ledford. "People in Apex should be aware of these cases and take the necessary precautions to prevent exposure to themselves, family members and their pets."

In this case the dogs were vaccinated for rabies and required a booster vaccine. State law requires potentially rabid pets to be destroyed unless owners agree to support a six-month quarantine.

"Rabies vaccination is critical to help to prevent the spread of disease, and rabies vaccination is required by law," said Wake County Animal Services Director Dr. Jennifer Federico. "This is a great opportunity to remind everyone of the importance of rabies vaccinations for their pets."

Animal Control officers are concerned about possible exposure of unvaccinated animals, particularly pets, in the Apex area. Anyone who sees an animal acting in an unusual manner is urged to call Wake County Animal Control. Animal Control officials urge the following:
  • Residents should not approach animals that they do not know.
  • Residents should ensure their pets have a current rabies vaccination. If a pet is allowed outside, a booster vaccine is recommended. Outdoor pets should be kept inside until they receive booster vaccines.
  • Do not feed stray or unknown animals, including cats and dogs.
  • Do not leave trash or food outside, unless it is in a trash can with a tight-fitting lid.
  • If a pet is fed outside, do not leave food out overnight.
  • If a pet comes in contact with an animal that might be rabid, contact a veterinarian immediately.
To report animal complaints and stray animals:
  • In Wake County (except Cary, Garner, Holly Springs and Raleigh), call 919-212-PETS (7387).
  • In Cary, call 919-319-4517.
  • In Garner, call 919-772-8896.
  • In Holly Springs, call 919-557-9111.
  • In Raleigh, call 919-831-6311.





         Wake County Departments & Agencies: