Quick Launch

Wake County News > Posts > Wake Issues Rabies Notice for Raleigh
February 27
Wake Issues Rabies Notice for Raleigh

Anyone Bitten or Scratched by Unknown Animals Should Call Animal Control

Wake County would like to inform people who live in the vicinity of the 5000 Block on Hurmax Lane in Raleigh that rabies was confirmed in a raccoon on Wednesday, February 26, 2014. Wake County Animal Control responded to the case and the raccoon was taken to the State Lab in Raleigh for testing. Two dogs were exposed to the raccoon.

"We don't want to alarm residents in Raleigh, but they should be aware of these cases and of the potential for exposure to themselves, family members and their pets," said Sue Lynn Ledford, Community Health director for Wake County.

In this case, one of the dogs was vaccinated for rabies and required a booster vaccine. The other dog was not vaccinated. State law requires potentially rabid pets to be destroyed unless owners agree to support a six-month quarantine.

"We encourage pet owners to comply with the North Carolina law and keep their pet's rabies vaccinations current, including their indoor pets," said Wake Animal Services Director Dr. Jennifer Federico. "Wake County Animal Center regularly hosts low-cost rabies clinics where each pet can be vaccinated for $5. It is a matter of saving their lives."

Animal Control officers are concerned about possible exposure of unvaccinated animals, particularly pets, in the Raleigh area. Anyone who sees an animal acting in an unusual manner is urged to call Wake County Animal Control. Animal Control officials urge the following:
  • Residents should not approach animals that they do not know.
  • Residents should ensure their pets have a current rabies vaccination. If a pet is allowed outside, a booster vaccine is recommended. Outdoor pets should be kept inside until they receive booster vaccines.
  • Do not feed stray or unknown animals, including cats and dogs.
  • Do not leave trash or food outside, unless it is in a trash can with a tight-fitting lid.
  • If a pet is fed outside, do not leave food out overnight.
  • If a pet comes in contact with an animal that might be rabid, contact a veterinarian immediately.
To report animal complaints and stray animals:
  • In Raleigh, call 919-831-6311.
  • In Cary, call 919-319-4517.
  • In Garner, call 919-772-8896.
  • In Holly Springs, call 919-557-9111.
  • In Wake County (except Cary, Garner, Holly Springs and Raleigh), call 919-212-PETS (7387).





         Wake County Departments & Agencies: