Quick Launch

Wake County News > Posts > Wake Issues Rabies Notice for Holly Springs
December 09
Wake Issues Rabies Notice for Holly Springs

Anyone Bitten or Scratched by Unknown Animals Should Call Animal Control

Wake County would like to inform people who live in the vicinity of Ralph Stephens Road and Village Walk Drive in Holly Springs that rabies was confirmed in a kitten on Friday, December 6, 2013. Wake County Animal Control responded to the case and the kitten was taken to the State Lab in Raleigh for testing.
"We don't want to alarm residents in Holly Springs, but they should be aware of this case and of the potential for exposure to themselves, family members and their pets," said Sue Lynn Ledford, Community Health Director for Wake County.
The kitten is believed to have been born to a feral mother. People with known exposure to the kitten have been notified. State law requires potentially rabid pets to be destroyed unless owners agree to support a six-month quarantine.
Animal Control officers are concerned about possible exposure of unvaccinated animals, particularly pets, in this area of Holly Springs. Anyone who sees an animal acting in an unusual manner is urged to call Holly Springs Animal Control. Animal Control officials urge the following:
  • Residents should not approach animals that they do not know.
  • Residents should ensure their pets have a current rabies vaccination. If a pet is allowed outside, a booster vaccine is recommended. Outdoor pets should be kept inside until they receive booster vaccines.
  • Do not feed stray or unknown animals, including cats and dogs.
  • Do not leave trash or food outside, unless it is in a trash can with a tight-fitting lid.
  • If a pet is fed outside, do not leave food out overnight.
  • If a pet comes in contact with an animal that might be rabid, contact a veterinarian immediately.
To report animal complaints and stray animals:
  • In Wake County (except Cary, Garner, Holly Springs and Raleigh), call 919-212-PETS (7387).
  • In Holly Springs, call 919-557-9111.
  • In Cary, call 919-319-4517.
  • In Garner, call 919-772-8896.
  • In Raleigh, call 919-831-6311.





         Wake County Departments & Agencies: