Quick Launch

Wake County News > Posts > Wake Issues Rabies Notice for Residents in Cary
July 26
Wake Issues Rabies Notice for Residents in Cary

Anyone Bitten or Scratched by Unknown Animals Should Call 919-250-4462

Wake County would like to inform people who live in the vicinity of the High House Road and Davis Drive intersection in Cary that rabies was confirmed in a fox on Thursday, July 25, 2013. Cary Animal Control responded to the case, and the fox was taken to the State Lab in Raleigh for testing.

“We want residents to exercise caution when they are outside,” said Wake County Community Health Director Sue Lynn Ledford. “Do not approach an animal that you do not know.”

County health officials want to remind residents to use caution around wildlife. Anyone who sees an animal acting in an unusual manner is urged to call the appropriate animal control agency.

Animal Control officials urge the following:
  • Residents should not approach animals that they do not know.
  • Residents should ensure their pets have a current rabies vaccination. If a pet is allowed outside, a booster vaccine is recommended. Outdoor pets should be kept inside until they receive booster vaccines.
  • Do not feed stray or unknown animals, including cats and dogs.
  • Do not leave trash or food outside, unless it is in a trash can with a tight-fitting lid.
  • If a pet is fed outside, do not leave food out overnight.
  • Do not leave pets outdoors unattended.
  • If a pet comes in contact with an animal that might be rabid, contact a veterinarian immediately.
To report animal complaints and stray animals:
  • In Wake County (except Cary, Garner, Holly Springs and Raleigh), call 919-212-PETS (7387).
  • In Cary, call 919-319-4517.
  • In Garner, call 919-772-8896.
  • In Holly Springs, call 919-557-9111.
  • In Raleigh, call 919-831-6311.

Learn more about rabies.





         Wake County Departments & Agencies: