Quick Launch

Wake County News > Posts > Wake Issues Rabies Notice for Raleigh Residents
July 23
Wake Issues Rabies Notice for Raleigh Residents

Anyone Bitten or Scratched by Unknown Animals Should Call 919-250-4462

Wake County would like to inform people who live in the vicinity of the South Lakeside Drive and Norman Place intersection in Raleigh that rabies was confirmed in a fox on Friday, July 12, 2013. Raleigh Animal Control responded to the case, and the fox was taken to the State Lab in Raleigh for testing. Additionally, Wake County received reports of possible rabies exposures at the Buck Jones Road and Wilmot Drive intersection.
"We don't want to alarm residents in Raleigh, but they should be aware of these cases and of the potential for exposure to themselves, family members and their pets," said Sue Lynn Ledford, Community Health director for Wake County. "Rabies vaccination is critical to help to prevent the spread of disease, and rabies vaccination is required by law. This is a great opportunity to remind everyone of the importance of rabies vaccinations for their pets."
County health officials want to remind residents to use caution around wildlife. Anyone who sees an animal acting in an unusual manner is urged to call Wake County Animal Control at 919-212-7387 (PETS).
Animal Control officials urge the following:
  • Residents should not approach animals that they do not know.
  • Residents should ensure their pets have a current rabies vaccination. If a pet is allowed outside, a booster vaccine is recommended. Outdoor pets should be kept inside until they receive booster vaccines.
  • Do not feed stray or unknown animals, including cats and dogs.
  • Do not leave trash or food outside, unless it is in a trash can with a tight-fitting lid.
  • If a pet is fed outside, do not leave food out overnight.
  • Do not leave pets outdoors unattended.
  • If a pet comes in contact with an animal that might be rabid, contact a veterinarian immediately.
To report animal complaints and stray animals:
  • In Wake County (except Cary, Garner, Holly Springs and Raleigh), call 919-212-PETS (7387).
  • In Cary, call 919-319-4517.
  • In Garner, call 919-772-8896.
  • In Holly Springs, call 919-557-9111.
  • In Raleigh, call 919-831-6311.





         Wake County Departments & Agencies: