Where are you located?

What are your hours?

How do I find out if my property is located in Wake County’s jurisdiction?

How do I find out my permit number?

How do I find permits and view permit information including results of an inspection for a specific address?

When is a permit required?

When must work be done by a licensed contractor?

Who has my inspection and how do I contact my inspector?

How do I schedule an inspection?

Can I schedule a time for my inspection?

What are the fees for a permit?

How do I pay a re-inspection fee?

Do swimming pools, hot tubs and spas require a permit? How do I apply for a permit for a swimming pool, hot tub and spas?

What items are required when permitting a New Single Family Home?

How do I obtain a copy of a certificate of compliance? (C.O.)

Is a permit required for a residential accessory building?

What types of payment do you accept?

Is a permit required for a retaining wall?

When is a site plan required? What are the requirements for site plans?

How do I access the North Carolina Building Codes?

How do I contact staff at Wake County Inspections and Permits?

How do I amend or make changes to my permit?

When is a Trade Permit required? How do I apply for a Trade Permit?

We are located at: Wake County Office Building First Floor 336 Fayetteville St. Suite 101 Raleigh, NC 27601

Office hours are 8:15 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Second Monday of each month

Field staff hours are 7:15 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Friday

Wake County Planning, Development and Inspections (PDI) issues permits and performs inspections for the unincorporated areas of Wake County. PDI also schedules and performs inspections under contract with the towns of Knightdale, Rolesville, Wendell and Zebulon. Contract towns issue their permits in their town halls. You can access Wake County Real Estate Data website at http://services.wakegov.com/realestate/ to determine if your property is located in Wake County’s jurisdiction, enter your address and verify that “WC” is listed for ETJ. You can also visit Wake County IMAPs at http://www.wakegov.com/gis/imaps/Pages/default.aspx to determine if your property is located in Wake County’s jurisdiction.
Your permit number is issued when you apply for your permit. When submitting your permit using the Wake County Permit Portal you will receive the message "Your permit application was submitted successfully" when all of the required information has been completed. After your permit has been issued you can access you permit number by signing into your Wake County Permit Portal account and searching under "My Permits".  
You can access permits and see inspections for a specific address as a guest using the Wake County Permit Portal. To search for inspections results for a specific permit you must be signed into your Wake County Permit Portal account. You can search for permit results on your Permit Portal dashboard under "My Inspections". 
Permits prior to 07/19/2018   Use this Link: Search Permit Information Prior to 7/19/2018 
Building Permit Required: No person or corporation shall locate, erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, demolish or relocate any building, or change the type of occupancy without first obtaining the required permits for the specific work from the Inspections Department having jurisdiction.
Building permits are not required for:
  • Non-structural work where costs is less than $15,000 in any single-family residence.
  • Farm buildings outside the jurisdiction of any municipality.
  • Residential accessory structures where no dimension exceeds 12 feet.
  • The replacement of windows, doors and exterior siding in residential structures.
  • The replacement of pickets, railings, stair treads, and decking of residential porches and exterior decks.

Electrical Permit Required: An electrical permit is required for the installation, extension, alteration, or general repair of any electrical wiring, devices, appliances, or equipment except that in any one or two-family dwelling units a permit shall not be required for repair or replacement of electrical lighting fixtures or devices, such as receptacles and lighting switches having the same voltage and the same or less amperage.

Plumbing Permit Required: A plumbing permit is required for the installation, extension, relocation, replacement or general repair of any plumbing system. Plumbing permits shall not be required for minor repairs or replacements of plumbing fixtures provided such repairs or replacements do not disrupt the original water supply or the waste and ventilation system.
Replacement of Water Heaters:
No permit shall be required for replacement of water heaters in one- or two-family dwellings, provided:
  • The energy use rate or thermal input is not greater than that of the water heater which is being replaced.
  • There is no change in fuel, energy source, location, routing or sizing of venting and piping.
  • The work is performed by a licensed plumbing contractor.
  • The replacement is installed in accordance with the current edition of the North Carolina State Building Code.

Mechanical / HVAC Permit Required: Mechanical / HVAC permit is required for the installation, extension, 
relocation, replacement and general repair of any heating, air-conditioning or venting system.

Building Contractor Required: A general contractor licensed in North Carolina must perform all work where the construction cost is in excess of $30,000. Any person who is paid to manage a project where the construction cost is in excess of $30,000 must be a licensed General Contractor. An unlicensed contractor may perform work where the cost is $30,000 or less. Any person may act as their own general contractor for construction of a home, addition or accessory structure if they own the land and will personally occupy the structure for 12 months after completion.
Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning, Sprinkler License Contractor Required: 
A licensed plumbing, heating and air conditioning contractor is required to alter, replace or relocate plumbing or heating and air conditioning. Homeowners may perform their own plumbing or heating work if they own the land and will personally occupy the structure.
Electrical Contractor’s License Required: A licensed electrical contractor is required for all installation, construction, maintenance or repair of electrical wiring, devices, appliances or equipment. Homeowners may perform their own electrical work if they own the land and will personally occupy the structure.
Inspections are performed by the inspector’s assigned areas of the county. You can access the inspector’s assigned areas and their contact information by going to the Wake County Staff  Directory. You can also see who is assigned to your inspection, if it has been scheduled, by going to the Wake County Permit Portal, signing into your account and searching "My Inspections."
To schedule an inspection, you will need to sign into your Wake County Permit Portal account. From the dashboard you will select "Active Permits" tab, select the permit number you wish to  schedule an inspection for and select the "Inspections" tab at the bottom of the screen. Check the "Action" boxes beside the inspections you wish to schedule and then select "Request Inspection". Select the date you wish to schedule the inspection for and add any comments to this inspection. Then select the "Submit" button. You will see a green check mark if you have successfully requested the inspection. Please view the Permit Portal Guide on how to schedule, cancel and view the results for inspections.
You can also contact the Wake County Permit Processors at 919-856-6222 to schedule an inspection. Please have your permit number available.
Wake County Inspections and Permits does not schedule inspections by appointment. Wake County field inspectors will try to accommodate requests for times depending on their work load for that day. Field inspector hours are 7 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. the day after Memorial Day through the last day of September and 7:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. October through Memorial Day.
Wake County P&I fee schedule can be accessed here.

Re-inspection fee payments may be made when scheduling your inspection by using a credit card or electronic check. Sign into your Wake County Permit Portal account and from your dashboard select "Active"  under "My Permits". Select the permit number you would like to pay the fees and at the bottom select the "Fees" tab. You will see the fees associated with this permit. You may also pay re-inspections in person by submitting your payment at Wake County Office Building, 336 Fayetteville St., Suite 101, Raleigh, or by mailing a check to Wake County Inspections. Please view the Permit Portal Guide on paying invoices.

Single Family Home Guide-Permit Portal.pdf Pay Invoices in the Permit Portal

All swimming pools, hot tubs and spas require a building permit from Wake County Planning, Development & Inspections (PDI) before installation. To access information on permitting swimming pools, hot tubs and spas please visit: Swimming Pool Page

To permit a new single-family home you will need to submit:

•A completed application using the Wake County Permit Portal. You will be required to first set up an account using an email address and password. You will be sent a confirmation email from the Permit Portal with a link to verify your email address. When this step is completed you are now ready to apply for your building permit.

•A site plan meeting all of the specifications listed below in Site Plan Requirements. See a Site Plan Example

•Building plans detailing the work to be performed. The building plans shall detail the construction in accordance with the Residential Plan Submittal Requirements listed below as it applies to the particular project.

•A certificate of workers' compensation insurance or a completed affidavit of workers compensation exemption form for licensed general contractors.

•A completed and notarized affidavit owner contractor form for any project over $30,000 where an owner is listed as the general contractor.

When a permit is completed and the C.O. has been issued, a copy of the C.O. is uploaded into the permit. Certificate of occupancies are attached to permits under the “Attachments” tab in each permit. To locate the permit after it has been completed, you will need to select “View” in the dashboard and select “My Permits”. Click on the permit number and select “Attachment”. Click on the Certificate of occupancy file to open and print.  
A building permit is required for accessory buildings with any dimension larger than 12 feet. A land use permit is still required for buildings with any dimension 12 feet or under. Please contact Wake County Planning and Zoning at 919-856-6335 for land use permits.
Cash, Checks, Credit Cards and Electronic Checks. Personal checks must match your driver license.
Retaining walls require a permit and engineering when:
  • They are vertically above 4 feet.
  • Supporting a structure
  • Crosses a property regardless of height

To permit a retaining wall you will need to submit a residential permit application through the Wake County Permit Portal, a plot plan showing the retaining wall and engineered plans.

Site plans are required for all new single family homes, additions, alterations outside of the existing footprint including decks, porches and accessory buildings. Site plans are also required when increasing the number of bedrooms to a property. Wake County accepts surveys and hand dawn site plans if they meet the Wake County requirements for site plans.
To access the requirements for site plans submitted to Wake County, view the Site Plan Requirements. See a Site Plan Example here.
North Carolina Codes Link: North Carolina Codes
To contact the Wake County Inspections & Permits staff access the link: Wake County Permit Staff Directory
To amend a permit in the permit portal, you will need to attach your new plans, site plan and a description of why you are amending the permit under “Attachments” in the permit portal. Then contact the Wake County Permit Technicians at 919-856-6060 or email them at idpppermitting@wakegov.com Link: Wake County P&I Staff Directory 

When is a Trade Permit required? How do I apply for a Trade Permit?
Trade Permits are available to anyone who must obtain a plumbing, electrical or mechanical permit. Trade permits provide for the permitting and inspection of projects with single and multiple trades if a building permit is not required. It may be issued for Plumbing, HVAC, Electrical or Refrigeration work, for any combination of the four trades or for all four trades. Examples are: heat pump replacement or electric water heater replacement, both of which require heating and electrical work, and the installation of backup generators that operate on natural gas. Each project must have all required trades listed prior to issuance.
If you wish to apply for a Trade Permit please visit the Wake County Permit Portal. You will be required to first set up an account using an email address and password. You will be sent a confirmation email from the Permit Portal with a link to verify your email address. When this step is completed you are now ready to apply for your trade permit.
Trade Permit Fees