If you or your loved one has a complaint about the adult or family care home where he/she is living, consider doing the following:

  • Discuss the concern with facility staff.
  • Work your way up the chain of command if you have to, but make sure that your concern is heard.
  • Give facility staff an opportunity to address the problem.

If you are not satisfied with the results, don’t give up; take your concern to one or
take your concern to one or more of the following people/groups below:

The Complaint Intake Unit with
The Adult Care Licensure Section at the
Division of Health Service Regulation (DHSR)

The Complaint Intake Unit is available to receive complaints regarding the care and services provided to patients/residents/consumers by health care facilities/agencies/homes licensed by the Division of Health Service Regulations.

Complaints may be shared with our unit by telephone, by fax or by postal mail.
DHSR Adult Care Licensure Section is only able to investigate complaints regarding incidents that have occurred in the past year and issues that are regulated by federal regulations or state statutes.

Complaint form is available for written complaints but is not required to be used.

Complaint Hotline: 1-800-624-3004 (within N.C.) or 919-855-4500

Fax: 919-715-7724

Mail: 2711 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-2711
(except holidays)
8:30 a.m.–4 p.m.


The Adult Homes Specialist with
the local county Department of Social Services

In Wake County, Wake County Human Services is responsible for monitoring the facility.

Please contact Catherine Goldman,
Supervisor of Adult Services,
at 919-250-3835


The Regional Long Term Care Ombudsman with
your local Area Agency on Aging

Community Advisory Committee members are volunteers who are appointed by Wake
County Commissioners to work with the Ombudsman to protect the rights of residents
living in long term care facilities.

They are trained by the Ombudsman, and regularly visit the facilities in Wake County to talk with residents, family members, and to facilitate communication with staff and the surrounding community.
Please contact Aimee Kepler,
Long Term Care Ombudsman Representative
at 919-558-2719
Ombudsmen Toll-Free Hotline


(top of page)