Special Assistance (SA) is for aged (65 and older), blind or disabled individuals or couples residing in an adult care home, family care home, rest home or other domiciliary/assisted living facility.

Special Assistance helps pay the cost of living in such a facility. In addition, a recipient of Special Assistance is automatically eligible for Medicaid. If the individual leaves the adult care home, they may not qualify for Medicaid, because the rules for Private Living Medicaid are different than those for Special Assistance.

The Special Assistance recipient's income is used to help pay for the cost of care. The individual may keep $66 per month of their income for personal needs. The rest goes to the facility. You must apply for Special Assistance during the month you want assistance, as payments are not made retroactively.

For Special Assistance you must apply in person at a Wake County Human Services location; you may send someone to apply for you. You may call one of our offices ahead of time with any questions:

Wake County Human Services
220 Swinburne St., Raleigh

130 N. Judd Pkwy NE, Fuquay-Varina

1002 Dogwood Drive, Zebulon

350 E. Holding Ave., Wake Forest

Visit NC DHHS's website to learn more about 
Special Assistance.

The Senior and Adult Services Section of Wake County Human Services monitors Wake County Adult Care Homes. If you have any complaints about the homes located in Wake County, you may call 800-624-3004 and ask for Senior and Adult Services.