An Alternative To Adult Care Home Placement

Adults needing care in an adult care facility now have another option to consider. The Special Assistance (SA) - In Home program offers monthly cash payments to help individuals continue to live at home. Adults who can have their health, safety and well-being maintained at home with appropriate services may benefit from this new program. There are a limited number of slots available in Wake County.


  • 65 and older or
  • Between the ages of 18-65 and disabled based on Social Security's definition of disability. 
  • A U.S. Citizen or legal alien and a North Carolina resident. 
  • Income must be below the federal poverty level ($931 per month for one person, $1,261 for a couple). 
  • Individual must require care in a licensed adult care facility but desire to live at home or other private living setting. 
  • Individual must be able to have health, safety and well-being maintained with appropriate services, such as in-home aide services, home modifications, case management services and needed supplies. 
  • Eligibility is determined on a case by case bases. These are the general guidelines.
Special Assistance must be applied for in person at a Wake County Human Services location; you may send someone to apply for you. You may call one of our offices ahead of time with any questions:

Wake County Human Services
220 Swinburne St., Raleigh

130 N. Judd Pkwy NE, Fuquay-Varina

1002 Dogwood Drive, Zebulon

350 E. Holding Ave., Wake Forest